Learn me about Music Man guitars

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Learn me about Music Man guitars

Post by Molly »

I've never paid Music Man guitars much attention but have seen a few lately that've piqued my interest. Tell me about your experience with them. Anything I should know? Good / bad points?

Ta

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Learn me about Music Man guitars

Post by Michael »

they p cool

e: for real though, I'd love a Stingray RS.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

My Silhouette was cool. Nice build. Elegant.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Brilliant tools. Keepers (crap resale).
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

They have awesome necks. I have a sterling AX40D at the moment, keen to upgrade to the full Axis at some points in the future.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Have an Axis which is a great straight ahead rock guitar. Neck on it is super comfortable. You'd want to buy used, as with most guitars I guess. I like the look of the Valentine sig.
Loving it so far

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Great guitars, didn’t like either of the two I’ve had. Mind you I think I’m more of a traditional neck fan. You’ve been a Jackson owner in the past Molly, I bet the fast necks on MMs will feel great for you.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

null_pointer wrote:Great guitars, didn’t like either of the two I’ve had. Mind you I think I’m more of a traditional neck fan. You’ve been a Jackson owner in the past Molly, I bet the fast necks on MMs will feel great for you.
Did wonder if they'd all be like that. On the couple of factory tours I've watched some look chunkier.

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Awesome guitars. Incredibly well built. Necks to die for - fast but not too skinny (compared to say some modern Ibanez shred sticks). Shit resale value.

I love my EBMM JP15.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Molly wrote:
null_pointer wrote:Great guitars, didn’t like either of the two I’ve had. Mind you I think I’m more of a traditional neck fan. You’ve been a Jackson owner in the past Molly, I bet the fast necks on MMs will feel great for you.
Did wonder if they'd all be like that. On the couple of factory tours I've watched some look chunkier.

This is a confusing comparison for me because except for maybe the JP series, Music Man necks are absolutely nothing like Jackson.

The classic EBMM profile is the Axis, narrow nut width but deep. Like half of a small, round club. Great for smaller hands like mine. Most of the guitars have something like this.

JP models tend more towards wide and flat and super flat radius. Majesty falls somewhere in between the two.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I tried one and the neck was narrow ish...rounded back but narrower width than say a modern LP.

Sounded good though. Wouldn't say I'm target market but my cuzzie bro swears by them.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

slash-ed wrote:
Molly wrote:

This is a confusing comparison for me because except for maybe the JP series, Music Man necks are absolutely nothing like Jackson.

The classic EBMM profile is the Axis, narrow nut width but deep. Like half of a small, round club. Great for smaller hands like mine. Most of the guitars have something like this.

JP models tend more towards wide and flat and super flat radius. Majesty falls somewhere in between the two.
Fair enough I wasn’t very clear! I don’t mean by profile but by utility - I felt the MMs I’ve had (including an Axis) were Lead Machines (as I perceive the Jackson to be). Fast and fluid necks, with a bit of chunk (so not Wizards by any stretch). Which is what I didn’t like about them, hence my ‘traditional neck’ allusion.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Oh, I did have a ‘77 Stingray II back in the day - that made your average LP feel like a lightweight. Wasn’t amazingly well made either, IMHO, kinda slab of wood.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Have a 90s wolfgang in my care at the mo.
Super well built. Very ergonomic. Lots of little features that scream “attention to detail”. Lovely round neck, very flat radius though. Pickups not to my liking, but god it’s a great piece of kit.

Very interested in Sterling CT50 and maybe an AX40, but they appear to be discontinued.
Unless I’m retarded, but let’s not rule anything out just yet.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

I've had top of the line MM and equivalent Fender, and I'd take MM first - because the neck was so comfortable.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.