Where did all the cheap guitars go?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Where did all the cheap guitars go?

Post by Bg »

silicon heaven, along with the calculators.

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Patient guy to help you in a store? They exist? :D
I've sort of had mixed experiences.

I bought my first guitar when I was this excitable kid that knew (thought he knew) fucking everything so I doubt the guy said more than "cash or card?" And I made a shit choice, too.

Then, when I've taken the time to establish some sort of rapport, I've had shop guys steer me away from junk and suggest things I would actually like.

I'm guessing if mum and dad turn up and explain what they are trying to buy for their noob guitarist kid and the kid explains what music he likes, etc, then the shop has more to go on. Mum and dad are optional but you someone has to explain what they're after and how much money they want to spend.

These days I'm used to a certain level of service (anywhere) so if shop staff (be it guitars, clothes, restaurants, etc) don't show reasonable interest I never bother with their shop again. But I find that to be a rare phenomenon.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Wish I'd listened to the RS dudes a bit more when I was new to it all.

Guy in the Dunedin RS was steering me to a 2nd hand Ric bass, and a Peavey TNT 150 amp. Sadly listened to my dickhead band mate who said Fender is the bestest, and ended up with an MIJ fotoflame Jazz, and a gutless fender BXR bass amp.

Admittedly I still have the Jazz, and after 23 years, new pickups, bridge and a refinish it's a bass that I'll never sell. But that Ric will always be the one that got away.

Cheap guitars though? Plenty of Mannix guitars on the tard, and there's a finite number of beds for these cheap shitters to gather dust under, so the less cluttering up the shop floor the better I reckon. Maybe all the iPhones, iPads and chrome books have moved the perception of what an acceptable amount to spend on a Christmas gift is, and now parents will pay for a PRS SE starter pack, vs 10 years ago they'd only stretch to a Vester.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

You’re probably onto something with that last point. I can remember a $20 bubble gun thing being a bit of a reach in the 90s and now I see kids under 10 rocking an iPhone!

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Eruera wrote: AXL
299 and comes with an amp. enjoy!

http://beggsmusic.net.nz/product/axl-el ... r-package/

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

Haven't looked lately, but I would presume NZ retail prices are nosing upwards due to low $NZ vs $US and that holy fuck balls Auckland petrol tax.

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

Eruera wrote:Maybe it’s rose tinted glasses but feel like 10 years ago there were a multitude of cheap guitar brands like Karina and AXL that offered surprisingly good bang for what was usually less the Squier money.
I had an Axl once. About $150 new. Good build and (unlike some Chinese cheapies) no skimping on quality of pick-ups and metal parts. Flicked it for reasons of irrational guitar snobbery.