NGD: 1966 Fender Jaguar

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: NGD: 1966 Fender Jaguar

Post by null_pointer »

Was a comment re: the Jackson pup and why it may have been swapped in

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

That bridge pickup looks like a black bottom. A real '66 pickup will have a grey bottom (and a penciled date on it).

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

mugamee wrote:@bender...where'd you get the re-fret done?
That would be me. I used StewMac # 0152 - I love it for vintage Fenders as it has extra height to level off. Fender necks tend to get a subtle wave at frets 2 to 5, and a rising tongue :wtf: ...but I like to leave the board as much as possible.

Ben, that guard makes it!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

That looks epic Ben!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Single coil wrote:7.4 pretty hot for a single coil :shock:
I'd rate you more than 7.4 ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

aww.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Looks superb Ben. So much Jaguar GAS lately thanks to this place. It's hard work remembering why I sold the one I had.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Nope those are definitely jaguar pickups sorry Ben. Probably made by Fender. For guitars. Sorry they sound good too.
Did you plan on using them primarily to play music with or periodically staring at the colour of the bobbin ?

sunburster
Squier

Post by sunburster »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Did you plan on using them primarily to play music with or periodically staring at the colour of the bobbin ?
Colour of the bobbin matters if you care if the pickup is original to the guitar. Most people would like to know this information, especially on a vintage piece. Bender seems to think (and was told) this pickup is original to the guitar, but a black bottom pickup cannot be original to a '66, which is what I was pointing out (I don't know if you are addressing my comment in this thread, but I don't think anyone else pointed out the bobbin colour). It is more likely a pre-CBS Jag pickup, which are better (IMO) and would explain the higher output. Not unusual to find 62-64 Jag bridge pickups over 7k ohms. You can find them wound this hot in the 70s Jags too, however. But 65-66 are usually 5-6k ohms.

Just FYI. :wave:

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

sunburster wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Did you plan on using them primarily to play music with or periodically staring at the colour of the bobbin ?
Colour of the bobbin matters if you care if the pickup is original to the guitar. Most people would like to know this information, especially on a vintage piece. Bender seems to think (and was told) this pickup is original to the guitar, but a black bottom pickup cannot be original to a '66, which is what I was pointing out (I don't know if you are addressing my comment in this thread, but I don't think anyone else pointed out the bobbin colour). It is more likely a pre-CBS Jag pickup, which are better (IMO) and would explain the higher output. Not unusual to find 62-64 Jag bridge pickups over 7k ohms. You can find them wound this hot in the 70s Jags too, however. But 65-66 are usually 5-6k ohms.

Just FYI. :wave:
There’s a fair bit of anecdotal evidence of CBS using up old stock in transition models (my 67 bandmaster is a prime example) so it makes sense to me. I found several resto threads of 66 jags with black bottom pickups when I was researching this guitar too.

sunburster
Squier

Post by sunburster »

bender wrote: There’s a fair bit of anecdotal evidence of CBS using up old stock in transition models (my 67 bandmaster is a prime example) so it makes sense to me. I found several resto threads of 66 jags with black bottom pickups when I was researching this guitar too.
Could you provide some of those links? I've never seen that before. I might expect a leftover black bottom to sneak in to an early '65, but not on a '66 with a block-n-binding neck - a B&B Jag is not a transition model, only the D&B Jags were. Here's a restoration of an early '66 (still has dots on the bound neck), with the expected grey bottom pickups: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... php?t=5323

Also, if it was a black bottom original to the guitar you'd expect a date stamp on it, as it should be from no earlier than '64 when they were stamping the dates (in '65 they changed to pencil dates).

Lots of mid-late 60s Jags had their bridge pups swapped for pre-CBS Jag pups (or those from other manufacturers) because the mid-late 60s ones sound a bit thin/anaemic.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Big fan of black bottoms, just saying.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

I think I’ll just enjoy playing what I have instead.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I like guitars

bender
Darth Fader