Show us the guitar you’ve had the longest

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

The Oracle
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Show us the guitar you’ve had the longest

Post by The Oracle »

Haven't had it as long as many others but this one has come, gone and come back again. Got it in the early 2000's off eBay...a 1994 Waynes World 2 Fender MIM Stratocaster. Put in a whole new EMG DG20 Pickguard, swapped the original neck out for a rosewood Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Model neck (and "filed down the nut to take the buzz out of the low E" etc). Didn't like the neck, put the original back on. Pickups made me sound like David Gilmour on the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour but didn't make me play like him, so put the gat on TradeMe shortly after TradeMe started. Fast forward to 2015 and I spot the guitar in some pawn shop. Clicked 'Buy Now' and it was back in my hands again after nearly a decade apart. Plays like a dream and will never leave me again.
IMG_0624.JPG

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

The Oracle wrote:Haven't had it as long as many others but this one has come, gone and come back again. Got it in the early 2000's off eBay...a 1994 Waynes World 2 Fender MIM Stratocaster. Put in a whole new EMG DG20 Pickguard, swapped the original neck out for a rosewood Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Model neck (and "filed down the nut to take the buzz out of the low E" etc). Didn't like the neck, put the original back on. Pickups made me sound like David Gilmour on the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour but didn't make me play like him, so put the gat on TradeMe shortly after TradeMe started. Fast forward to 2015 and I spot the guitar in some pawn shop. Clicked 'Buy Now' and it was back in my hands again after nearly a decade apart. Plays like a dream and will never leave me again.
IMG_0624.JPG
That's a great story. Funny how we take some things forgranted until they're gone.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:most of my guitars are under15yrs old ... only thing I have that is older is a neck off a Charvel model 7 (man I wish I hadn't butchered that body..but it was around the start of my modding/building thing) that I have had since 1995...still feel s great, but looks pretty shit haha

I love that one, it appeals to my inner bogan. I couldn't rock it as I have no tats and nowhere near enough follicles.

Did you do the inlays???
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I need to dig out my old Ibanez RG440, which is 30 years old this year. Bought new with saved pocket money although it's about as original as Trigger's broom. Neck, pickups, wiring, floyd all replaced at some point, only the body and scratch plate are original
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

so what happens when the student loan system lets a 17yr old draw down one and a half grand?

Save it for living costs? Hell no... down to the rockshop to spend it.

ImageIMG_3174 by Jimi B, on Flickr

New pickups, bridge and a refinish years ago, and these days I don't get to play much bass. Played so many gigs on this that every other bass feels wrong though.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

A mate has my old rg240 on his wall,i should take a photo of it.30 years old this year and totally unplayable as you'd expect :)
Also some crossover to the teenagers/ rockquest thread as it was my first guitar and the one i played in the 1991 heats/regional finals.

cheating a little as it hasnt been in my possession ALL the time but my dad's lp copy has flipped between us the entire time ive been playing(30 years) and we made the shift permanent about 10 years ago when i scored him a cheap tele to set up for slide :)

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

willow13 wrote:most of my guitars are under15yrs old ... only thing I have that is older is a neck off a Charvel model 7 (man I wish I hadn't butchered that body..but it was around the start of my modding/building thing) that I have had since 1995...still feel s great, but looks pretty shit haha

model 7 was the tele shape?too lazy to google:)
reminds me of an old charvette that i butchered and mad-max'ed.I was a bit obsessed with voivod at the time:)

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:
Did you do the inlays???
yes. They are gold metal crosses. The reason there is bit of black on the board is because when I was about to clearcoat it I mistakenly grab the black spray paint and gave it a blast :rofl: As this was my first "build" I didn't really know what to do (didn't have any thinners) so I let it dry and tried to sand it out, but the paint stuck to the filler that is around the crosses so I had to go with the dirty look :rofl:
Last edited by willow13 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Kris wrote:
model 7 was the tele shape?too lazy to google:)
reminds me of an old charvette that i butchered and mad-max'ed.I was a bit obsessed with voivod at the time:)
yes Model 7 is a tele. It was a black body hardtail. It was a cool guitar for sure but I wanted something more "metal" (remember this was 1996/7 so tele's weren't metal unless you were Mick Mars) so I made a variation of a star shape (can't find a photo at the moment) and then about 5yrs ago I made this Chris Holmes tribute
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Had this one since new in 1995, purchased from
Axis Music in New Plymouth. I’ve since replaced most things on it, and don’t play it that often, but it will never be sold.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

About 12 years. A late 80's Lowden S7p, not to be confused with a modern Lowden S, which is a smaller body shape.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I could've actually made a decent fist of this a couple of weeks ago. However, having upgraded my six string acoustic to oleg's Walden I sold the Takamine I'd been perfectly happy with for the past nine or ten years. Closest I've ever come to having a connection with a guitar I guess (just in that I'd had it through quakes and several shifts around the world). No particular tone to speak of but it was stable and played well.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

This was a Charvel model 4 Fort worth Texas, SSS config, circa 1987. Pic two possibly early 1989, last haircut ever in 1988. 1st pic, my contribution to the Frankenstein guitar thread of numerous years ago. The same guitar, been to hell & back including a lightning strike ignition cremation. Looked like a piece of coal for years & stunk.
So about 31 years of sucking at guitar and then some...

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

calling card wrote:This was a Charvel model 4 Fort worth Texas, SSS config, circa 1987. Pic two possibly early 1989, last haircut ever in 1988. 1st pic, my contribution to the Frankenstein guitar thread of numerous years ago. The same guitar, been to hell & back including a lightning strike ignition cremation. Looked like a piece of coal for years & stunk.

WOW!!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

AiRdAd wrote:
calling card wrote:This was a Charvel model 4 Fort worth Texas, SSS config, circa 1987. Pic two possibly early 1989, last haircut ever in 1988. 1st pic, my contribution to the Frankenstein guitar thread of numerous years ago. The same guitar, been to hell & back including a lightning strike ignition cremation. Looked like a piece of coal for years & stunk.

WOW!!!!
Now that's what I'm talking about :clap: :clap: :clap:
:mental: