All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

#788525
Haven't had it as long as many others but this one has come, gone and come back again. Got it in the early 2000's off eBay...a 1994 Waynes World 2 Fender MIM Stratocaster. Put in a whole new EMG DG20 Pickguard, swapped the original neck out for a rosewood Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Model neck (and "filed down the nut to take the buzz out of the low E" etc). Didn't like the neck, put the original back on. Pickups made me sound like David Gilmour on the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour but didn't make me play like him, so put the gat on TradeMe shortly after TradeMe started. Fast forward to 2015 and I spot the guitar in some pawn shop. Clicked 'Buy Now' and it was back in my hands again after nearly a decade apart. Plays like a dream and will never leave me again.
IMG_0624.JPG
#788532
The Oracle wrote:Haven't had it as long as many others but this one has come, gone and come back again. Got it in the early 2000's off eBay...a 1994 Waynes World 2 Fender MIM Stratocaster. Put in a whole new EMG DG20 Pickguard, swapped the original neck out for a rosewood Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Model neck (and "filed down the nut to take the buzz out of the low E" etc). Didn't like the neck, put the original back on. Pickups made me sound like David Gilmour on the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour but didn't make me play like him, so put the gat on TradeMe shortly after TradeMe started. Fast forward to 2015 and I spot the guitar in some pawn shop. Clicked 'Buy Now' and it was back in my hands again after nearly a decade apart. Plays like a dream and will never leave me again.
IMG_0624.JPG

That's a great story. Funny how we take some things forgranted until they're gone.
User avatar
BY Bg
#788535
willow13 wrote:most of my guitars are under15yrs old ... only thing I have that is older is a neck off a Charvel model 7 (man I wish I hadn't butchered that body..but it was around the start of my modding/building thing) that I have had since 1995...still feel s great, but looks pretty shit haha

Image


I love that one, it appeals to my inner bogan. I couldn't rock it as I have no tats and nowhere near enough follicles.

Did you do the inlays???
#788539
I need to dig out my old Ibanez RG440, which is 30 years old this year. Bought new with saved pocket money although it's about as original as Trigger's broom. Neck, pickups, wiring, floyd all replaced at some point, only the body and scratch plate are original
#788544
so what happens when the student loan system lets a 17yr old draw down one and a half grand?

Save it for living costs? Hell no... down to the rockshop to spend it.

ImageIMG_3174 by Jimi B, on Flickr

New pickups, bridge and a refinish years ago, and these days I don't get to play much bass. Played so many gigs on this that every other bass feels wrong though.
#788547
A mate has my old rg240 on his wall,i should take a photo of it.30 years old this year and totally unplayable as you'd expect :)
Also some crossover to the teenagers/ rockquest thread as it was my first guitar and the one i played in the 1991 heats/regional finals.

cheating a little as it hasnt been in my possession ALL the time but my dad's lp copy has flipped between us the entire time ive been playing(30 years) and we made the shift permanent about 10 years ago when i scored him a cheap tele to set up for slide :)
Image
#788549
willow13 wrote:most of my guitars are under15yrs old ... only thing I have that is older is a neck off a Charvel model 7 (man I wish I hadn't butchered that body..but it was around the start of my modding/building thing) that I have had since 1995...still feel s great, but looks pretty shit haha

Image


model 7 was the tele shape?too lazy to google:)
reminds me of an old charvette that i butchered and mad-max'ed.I was a bit obsessed with voivod at the time:)
#788551
Bg wrote:
Did you do the inlays???


yes. They are gold metal crosses. The reason there is bit of black on the board is because when I was about to clearcoat it I mistakenly grab the black spray paint and gave it a blast :rofl: As this was my first "build" I didn't really know what to do (didn't have any thinners) so I let it dry and tried to sand it out, but the paint stuck to the filler that is around the crosses so I had to go with the dirty look :rofl:
Last edited by willow13 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#788552
Kris wrote:
model 7 was the tele shape?too lazy to google:)
reminds me of an old charvette that i butchered and mad-max'ed.I was a bit obsessed with voivod at the time:)


yes Model 7 is a tele. It was a black body hardtail. It was a cool guitar for sure but I wanted something more "metal" (remember this was 1996/7 so tele's weren't metal unless you were Mick Mars) so I made a variation of a star shape (can't find a photo at the moment) and then about 5yrs ago I made this Chris Holmes tribute
#788580
I could've actually made a decent fist of this a couple of weeks ago. However, having upgraded my six string acoustic to oleg's Walden I sold the Takamine I'd been perfectly happy with for the past nine or ten years. Closest I've ever come to having a connection with a guitar I guess (just in that I'd had it through quakes and several shifts around the world). No particular tone to speak of but it was stable and played well.
#788625
This was a Charvel model 4 Fort worth Texas, SSS config, circa 1987. Pic two possibly early 1989, last haircut ever in 1988. 1st pic, my contribution to the Frankenstein guitar thread of numerous years ago. The same guitar, been to hell & back including a lightning strike ignition cremation. Looked like a piece of coal for years & stunk.
So about 31 years of sucking at guitar and then some...

Image

Image
#788626
calling card wrote:This was a Charvel model 4 Fort worth Texas, SSS config, circa 1987. Pic two possibly early 1989, last haircut ever in 1988. 1st pic, my contribution to the Frankenstein guitar thread of numerous years ago. The same guitar, been to hell & back including a lightning strike ignition cremation. Looked like a piece of coal for years & stunk.
So about 31 years of sucking at guitar and then some...

Image

Image


WOW!!!!
#788628
AiRdAd wrote:
calling card wrote:This was a Charvel model 4 Fort worth Texas, SSS config, circa 1987. Pic two possibly early 1989, last haircut ever in 1988. 1st pic, my contribution to the Frankenstein guitar thread of numerous years ago. The same guitar, been to hell & back including a lightning strike ignition cremation. Looked like a piece of coal for years & stunk.
So about 31 years of sucking at guitar and then some...

Image

Image


WOW!!!!

Now that's what I'm talking about :clap: :clap: :clap: