NGD x3 (sort of) - back from extinction

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: NGD

Post by Single coil »

Just broke a double ball ender trying to intonate and stretch, argh.
5 sets on their way but there is an adapter ... hmm.
Cbf tonight.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

After the big day spa away up north with randombob, the bat is back.
The neck is loads better than it was, but I still think there’s a bit of dodginess going on with it.

Here is some of the aftermath of what’s been going on:

Made one good bridge out of two, pulled the shitty pickups out (me and my obsession for originality sometimes :problem: ), and of course plonked in the emgs.
Now.
The original steinies had actives, and literally anything will be better than the “hign gain super distortion PICKUP” that were in there, so here we are with 2x 85s running at 18 volts:

Yeah nah not anymore

Though, having such a tiny guitar and two batteries ... it isn’t the greatest solution but ya know. It’s not a dumb idea if it works :cool:

Needs a couple little things ironed out - proper intonation, shit like that, and of course a buzz that goes away when I touch the bridge :problem:
There’s always one!!

Will post whanau photo with the bat bass when I’m home... Aaaaaa!! :D

werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Can’t for the life of me get this thing to work :problem:
Somehow on the drive home, the 18v circuit and its vol vol tone setup decided it didn’t want to play ball anymore.
Gone back to master controls and a 3 way switch, now I have lots of grounding issues and no sound. Oh, and 9 volt cuz no way am I getting two batteries in there now. :problem:

What on earth have I done wrong now??

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

After all that pissing around why did I not just look at the bass ...

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Poor bat has gone off for major surgery by a qualified professional :lol:
And I mean ... major, like, “no going back now” kinda major.
It will also have a proper setup; not that ol’ Vern (randombob) did a bad job, but neither of us thought to lock the saddles so they all fell out when I pulled the strings off it :clap:

In hindsight I should’ve given it a damn good polish up while it was in bits - ahh well.

In other news, I’ll have a post about the goldtop in the near future.

I am quite excited.

Single coil
BANNED

Re: NGD x3 (sort of) - back from extinction

Post by Single coil »

Right.

The bat is back.
The bat is alive.
The bat is running correctly at 18 volts with minimal modification.
My doctor shimmed the bridge to raise it up; saddles can now sit lower. These particular double ball enders are just a smidge short so this was necessary. Gone back to vol vol tone on it too.

Got this old infamous beastie back too. Looking great. Feeling tops. Ugh yes. Aaaaand pampered in its new case.

Some workshop dust on it still but nothing to write home about. Stainless frets courtesy of bg :cool:
Popped the back off to see what wiring id done to it and holy shit what a mess!! My wiring has got a hundred times tidier in the last couple months so all this can be done properly.

Aaaaaaand this is here too:

Sporting wilkinson hot alnico 5s, countersunk bridge posts, and a new bone nut, the wiring on this one is also yick, so I’ll deal to this too.

Ugh fucking fizzing!!

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Looking good bro! The Epiphone turned out really nice, who did the headstock?
Tin arse!!

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

The headstock on the Epi is handsome.

Is that a blond Ibanez from the mid-70s? The double cutaway with neck through body was the shiz back in about 1977. Santana etc. Then Van Halen invented the superstrat and the world moved on.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Nice, that headstock must have cost more than the epi itself ;) Good job you got a good deal on fretting :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Gspot out west did everything.

The neck thru is branded arirang, and that’s it. No other markings, indents or numbers. Could be Korean (arirang is a Korean folk song) or Indian - because the only other ones my luthier has seen have been brought in by Indians who’ve brought them over.
The thing is a mystery, but it’s well built.

Trying to remember back to 2010 is ... difficult. The goldtop cost me low $600s to my door, but the buy now was somewhere in the $500s.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

want me to sort the Arirang, looks like a couple of the buggers have lifted there.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I always say my first electric was a 70s Ibanez Les Paul, but no it was a Cort I bought in 1986 along with a Jansen Little Brute, and a few Boss pedals (HM-2 is the only one I remember for sure). A music shop up the top of Symonds St that is not there now. The Cort was black, had something like a Kahler and SD Invader-a-like pups. I am not sure what happened to it. Perhaps sold it cheap so i could buy a tinnie or two.

After the Ibby I got an Aria Pro. Kind of like a Strat, but not. it was its own shape. it was very nice but got stolen when we were jamming at a party.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

p.s. your video. Talking from my USA experience, lots of peeps from over there if they stumble across your vid will have no idea what a cricket bat is. I had to explain to a few in Michigan what cricket is. I do think they were just playing dumb. I think it is that not knowing about anything outside their border thing. I see that here in NZ sometimes too.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

“Gentlemen’s baseball” :lol:
Bg wrote:want me to sort the Arirang, looks like a couple of the buggers have lifted there.
It... plays pretty well. I haven’t found any fretting issues.
Pretty sure the poor old bat has a twist in the neck but we’ll see how we go for now.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Holy shit the filing on the 22nd fret is off the scale....I have had to do that a few times :rofl:
Single coil wrote: Image
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be