Bonamassa Gibson tip

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Bonamassa Gibson tip

Post by MrDINO »

Just reading how Joe Bonamasa takes his strings around the wrap around to allow lesser angle on strings to meet bridge. For bigger strings. I haven’t tried this. Has anyone tried this and noticed any sort of difference? Be interested to know

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: Bonamassa Gibson tip

Post by AiRdAd »

MrDINO wrote:Just reading how Joe Bonamasa takes his strings around the wrap around to allow lesser angle on strings to meet bridge. For bigger strings. I haven’t tried this. Has anyone tried this and noticed any sort of difference? Be interested to know
He copied that technique off BG!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

And Jimmy Page.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

MrDINO wrote:Just reading how Joe Bonamasa takes his strings around the wrap around to allow lesser angle on strings to meet bridge. For bigger strings. I haven’t tried this. Has anyone tried this and noticed any sort of difference? Be interested to know
I've tried it. Supposed to make 11s feel like 10s or something. To me it's counter-intuitive. If you increase the length of a string then in order to achieve the same pitch it must need to be tighter. The overall length must matter and not just the scale length. Despite that, I do think they felt a little looser when top-wrapped.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

You mean top wrapping? There's a noticable difference. Easy to change your setup to see the difference.
The main idea is that you don't get the strings touching the steel behind the saddles while having your tailpeice screwed right down. The tailpiece being fully connected to the body translates to more sustain and sometimes more bottom end. You'll also notice less tension on the strings.
My R7 has the tailpeice screwed right down but the strings still dont touch the bridge without wraparound. I prefer the tighter sound of that for the style of music I play, but if I was more of a blues guy I'd probably go back to top wrap.
Jimmy P did it for a while but switched back to regular string through.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

I noticed the R4 Oxblood gets a clearer snap with the absence of a bridge but the wrap is way closer

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

MrDINO wrote:I noticed the R4 Oxblood gets a clearer snap with the absence of a bridge but the wrap is way closer
Did you buy that R4 in the end then? Well done that man!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

I noticed a difference when I did it, strings felt like I'd gone down almost a gauge, didn't like that so much, but being able to wind the stop piece right down to the body is good for sustain!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

I did it on mine originally to stop the strings hitting the back of the bridge. I think the strings feel a bit looser but it could just be imagining it.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Less tension, somehow. Sloppier feel.

But some folks are into that.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

Molly wrote:
MrDINO wrote:I noticed the R4 Oxblood gets a clearer snap with the absence of a bridge but the wrap is way closer
Did you buy that R4 in the end then? Well done that man!
Na I’d need to sell something first. I’ve just listened to a swag of clips. Really like that snappy Gib sound.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

All the rage since 1956!

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

yeah and I wasn't even born then ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

There seems to be good feedback on this. Seems I’ve been behind the 8 ball. I’ll try next time I change the strings

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Top wrapping certainly takes some of the tension out of the strings as noted by many of the above posts however to my ears it takes some of the spring out of the tone. I think this is a result of the decrease in break angles over the tuneomatic bridge making for less pressure and contact with the strings so less transference. It's a subtle difference. But I'm sure if you were playing nightly through two cranked high powered Twins you wouldn't give a toss :)

Wraptail bridges being both bridge and tailpiece are a whole other ball game.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson