All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Fuckin yes.
BY Bg
poly is the best finish without a doubt, thats why they used it so much.
its only cork sniffery that wants thin lacquer based finishes, after all the tonewood has no effect either!

discuss. ;)
BY Bg
olegmcnoleg wrote:I think MJT teles have the roughest finishes ;-)

No, I have a body here that trumps them.... and I'm talking tele, no myself
Nice guitar!

Fender Japan does have a lot of nice colours. However, I don't like their thick, plastic-feeling poly finishes. I'll stick to the thin nitro lacquer of the American Fenders (feels better, looks better, ages better, even smells better!).
Bg wrote:poly is the best finish without a doubt, thats why they used it so much.
its only cork sniffery that wants thin lacquer based finishes, after all the tonewood has no effect either!

discuss. ;)

Read an article on 1950's paints recently (thanks Molly)

Back then, paint was evolving rapidly; especially automotive paint. Nitrocellulose lacquer was the basis for automotive paint but it had several major drawbacks; it's tendency to crack, for one.

This was addressed by adding plasticisers. Contrary to what it sounds like, plasticisers were slow dissolving solvents. You sprayed on a thick layer and over the years, they 'gassed off' until the paint thinned out and eventually cracked.

So: in the 1950's, paint was evolving like modern tech. By the time you owned it, it was already obsolete; which makes a mockery of 'period correct' Fender paint.

But there's my favourite bit:
Olympic White, many folks favourite Fender colour. From day one, it was Poly; never made in Nitro at all.
I can sense the gasps and shudders from here. :rofl: