All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY Slowy
#783719
Because my life is going so well, I've had to work hard to find dissatisfaction. After a long search, I've settled on the 'splatty' character of Strats.

Playing lots of nice, resonant hard tails really highlights the characteristic.
I'd assumed it was caused by the springs but blocking and removing them isn't a cure (Not completely anyway)
I've only ever played one hard tail Strat and that one still exhibited the characteristic to some degree.
But I have met a couple over the years that weren't splatty but still had trems. I wonder what made them special?

Anyone know what I mean? Can anything be done about it?
User avatar
BY willow13
#783727
I think you need to define what you mean by splatty...because I at least have no idea what you mean :rofl:
User avatar
BY GrantB
#783729
Blocking a Strat goes a long way. Mister B has a hard tail Strat that is resiculously good....for a Strat.
User avatar
BY Slowy
#783730
GrantB wrote:Blocking a Strat goes a long way. Mister B has a hard tail Strat that is resiculously good....for a Strat.

Let me guess...it's black?
User avatar
BY Slowy
#783754
kwhelan wrote:splatty meaning that quacky trebly nasally thin sound, thats what makes them so different and loveable IMO

Yeah, with a serving of rubber bands.
User avatar
BY willow13
#783764
put a bloody humbucker in it then :idea:
User avatar
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
#783769
kwhelan wrote:splatty meaning that quacky trebly nasally thin sound, thats what makes them so different and loveable IMO

You sure you’re not thinking of the Telecaster? :-)
User avatar
BY olegmcnoleg
#783778
Slowy wrote:Because my life is going so well, I've had to work hard to find dissatisfaction. After a long search, I've settled on the 'splatty' character of Strats.

Playing lots of nice, resonant hard tails really highlights the characteristic.
I'd assumed it was caused by the springs but blocking and removing them isn't a cure (Not completely anyway)
I've only ever played one hard tail Strat and that one still exhibited the characteristic to some degree.
But I have met a couple over the years that weren't splatty but still had trems. I wonder what made them special?

Anyone know what I mean? Can anything be done about it?


Are you referring to a problem known as Stratitis?

Yes, it really is a thing...
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/stratitis/. ( second definition)
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#783779
Slowy wrote:I've only ever played one hard tail Strat and that one still exhibited the characteristic to some degree.
But I have met a couple over the years that weren't splatty but still had trems. I wonder what made them special?
Anyone know what I mean? Can anything be done about it?


Sorry, but I'm also confused by the splatty term.
Sure, there are plenty of less than stellar sounding examples out there and like any rescue some can be saved , others remain irredeemable . For me the bad ones are thin, lifeless sounding creatures, reminiscent of the awful second rate Shaft style music dubbed onto very cheap 70's porn movies.
Blocking can salvage some but can kill others. Personally whether I want to use a trem or not I think they always sound better with 5mil at the back as decking to me kills the top end sheen acoustically .
The other major misfortune with any cheaper Fender can be the overly thick finish. I've read so much material on the net with pretty reputable luthiers arguing against this which makes me highly skeptical of Internet verbiage as I have experienced night and day transformations by removing a Fender finish.
Ultimately though if an assembler has fitted a randomly crap or indifferent neck to an equally poor body then the fireplace is it's most rewarding destination.
Dunno if that touches on splatty, hope so :shifty:
User avatar
BY jvpp
#783808
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Slowy wrote:Because my life is going so well, I've had to work hard to find dissatisfaction. After a long search, I've settled on the 'splatty' character of Strats.

Playing lots of nice, resonant hard tails really highlights the characteristic.
I'd assumed it was caused by the springs but blocking and removing them isn't a cure (Not completely anyway)
I've only ever played one hard tail Strat and that one still exhibited the characteristic to some degree.
But I have met a couple over the years that weren't splatty but still had trems. I wonder what made them special?

Anyone know what I mean? Can anything be done about it?


Are you referring to a problem known as Stratitis?

Yes, it really is a thing...
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/stratitis/. ( second definition)


Quoting a line out of that section:

the sole function of a magnet in a guitar pickup is to magnetize the strings


Very poorly worded and taken literally utter bollocks.

The magnet's function is to provide a magnetic field for the coil so that moving (metal) strings within that field will induce tiny electric voltages in the coil.
User avatar
BY GrantB
#783820
Dharmajester wrote:Blocking can salvage some but can kill others. Personally whether I want to use a trem or not I think they always sound better with 5mil at the back as decking to me kills the top end sheen acoustically .


You saying 5mm lift at the rear of the bridge? Seems high?