Current cost of a refret

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Current cost of a refret

Post by robnobcorncob »

It's not hard to mask them off, but more time consuming.

Fender used to lacquer over the frets which leads to the chipped lacquer over the fret sides that you mention. This is another reason why maple necks are less fun to re-fret if there's heavy lacquer, you have to cut the lacquer off the sides of the fret before removing it. Of course if it's an older Fender neck then you have to remove the frets out the side rather than lifting them out like usual as they were installed sideways in the first place. This combined with lacquer can lead to chip out if you don't know what you're doing and you aren't careful.

The ones that give me nightmares are Rickenbackers with lacquer over the fingerboard (on a rosewood board!) along with binding(!!) and nibs(!!!) I consulted with the customer and gave it a fret-dress rather than a re-fret and he was happy. '70s 330 from memory, Maple-glo with a great patina. Sounded killer.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

What’s really fun is Ricky’s use what they call “varnish”! I got some a little while back to do a Ricky....not easy to use, but it does come out well. Overtime it dries rock hard...buffs well.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:What’s really fun is Ricky’s use what they call “varnish”! I got some a little while back to do a Ricky....not easy to use, but it does come out well. Overtime it dries rock hard...buffs well.
I think that one is sitting idle in my wardrobe awaiting collection.... Beer's been cold for months now...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Aye?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Here's my halfway through buffing Strummers ricky following a refret. That's varnish, proper oil based.
Attachments
IMG_1984 (Custom).jpeg

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

yep that is the one in the wardrobe

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Takamine neck was $400 by Max Watt couple of years back.
Wellington

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

robnobcorncob wrote: The ones that give me nightmares are Rickenbackers with lacquer over the fingerboard (on a rosewood board!) along with binding(!!) and nibs(!!!)
double truss rod, huge thick slab of rosewood. aahhh, guitars made right!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

bbrunskill wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote: The ones that give me nightmares are Rickenbackers with lacquer over the fingerboard (on a rosewood board!) along with binding(!!) and nibs(!!!)
double truss rod, huge thick slab of bubinga. aahhh, guitars made right!
Tweaked

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

yes, true that . . . I think mine is the real stuff (ooooeeer) but in essence I don't really care!

shednz
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by shednz »

cheers for all the responses folks. $600 seems a little high by the sounds of it - luthier is Kenny Duncan, new to Dunedin, so don't know much about his work but he seems to have credentials. I believe he was in Wellington originally? Guitar is an early 70s tele that I'm rather fond of and a little nervous about strangers having a go at the neck. Luckily I have a loving wife who hasn't put the foot down on the guitar acquisition, so I have a few other nice gats I can play while I make up my mind.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Others have experience with him, I do not.

What you see above on the Ricky is how a maple Tele neck should be done. I’ve done many 70s Teles this way but with poly lacquer as per Fender formula. I’ve done a few with nitro too. Personally I’m a nitro fan...for the smell!

I’d be happy to assist with a neck-off refret but understand your reticence. Best wishes with whatever you choose.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

shednz wrote:cheers for all the responses folks. $600 seems a little high by the sounds of it - luthier is Kenny Duncan, new to Dunedin, so don't know much about his work but he seems to have credentials. I believe he was in Wellington originally? Guitar is an early 70s tele that I'm rather fond of and a little nervous about strangers having a go at the neck. Luckily I have a loving wife who hasn't put the foot down on the guitar acquisition, so I have a few other nice gats I can play while I make up my mind.
Very mixed reviews of his work, may be worth talking to others who have more experience with him.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

shednz wrote:- luthier is Kenny Duncan, new to Dunedin,.

I would do a search of his name on here for starters. I have no experience or opinion but looks like 'very mixed reviews' is a very polite way of describing things.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Frey wrote:Kenny's overpriced, a rip off merchant
If the work he does is super good then the rip off pricing is merely a premium you pay for the superb workmanship...

:moresarc: