All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY GrantB
#778085
Stripping is the easy part...what to do next is not so.
User avatar
BY sizzlingbadger
#778087
I don't think you would get the cost/time back financially if you strip it and get it professionally re-finished, its not going to be worth more, maybe even slightly less to someone who wants an original Beck reissue. It may look nicer to many people though and could possibly sell more easily.

There could be a blemish under the nitro somewhere too that the oxblood is covering.
User avatar
BY StrummersOfThunder
#778088
sizzlingbadger wrote:I don't think you would get the cost/time back financially if you strip it and get it professionally re-finished, its not going to be worth more, maybe even slightly less to someone who wants an original Beck reissue. It may look nicer to many people though and could possibly sell more easily.

There could be a blemish under the nitro somewhere too that the oxblood is covering.


Try to detect it
User avatar
BY Single coil
#778109
Molly wrote:And flame tops are, like, so over rated.
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#778115
So this is what I'm seeing. Can be seen all over but pretty hard to capture the full reveal.


Image

GrantB wrote:Stripping is the easy part...what to do next is not so.


Agreed. I'm a skill less bastard in the finishing area but enjoy a gentle strip :moresarc: . Thought I could get Steve Barkman to do a light lemonburst on the top. He's pretty good at bursting from all his practise on mandolins etc.
User avatar
BY godgrinder
#778117
Dharmajester wrote:Thought I could get Steve Barkman to do a light lemonburst on the top.


Nitro or poly?
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#778120
godgrinder wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:Thought I could get Steve Barkman to do a light lemonburst on the top.


Nitro or poly?


Nitro ideally. Whole thing would have to be cheap as I don't plan on keeping it, just a fun project.
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#778121
Reg18 wrote:What colour is the back and neck? i have played it but I can't remember.


Oxblood all over. Which of course begs the question of how far to go. Be cool to leave the neck as is to show it's heritage and preserve the serial, but nice to take the back and sides off too.
I can see apathy setting in though and just flicking it ( reality check ) .
I put a set of Tyson Tone Preachers in it which sorted the original harshness but now I play without a pick my string damping on wraptails has become pants and is better on a ToM set up. Still prefer the wraptail resonance though.
User avatar
BY godgrinder
#778123
Dharmajester wrote:Nitro ideally. Whole thing would have to be cheap as I don't plan on keeping it, just a fun project.


You're basically paying money to lose more on resale. Might as well just drop a few hundred bucks on the sale price now lol.