PRS Silver Sky

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: PRS Silver Sky

Post by Bg »

The best strat I owned was an 80's Japanese Squier.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

and my fernandes is class :) not the equal, but way better than most strats I've hit on.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:and my fernandes is class :) not the equal, but way better than most strats I've hit on.
I guess all Strats are partscasters when all's said and done. Sometimes you hit on a combination that really works for you and sometimes it's a bit f'naaaaa.... Most are somewhere between the two.

Finding one that's greater than the sum of its parts; that's really got something is pretty rare. Fortunately they're simple enough that the magic needn't require that you spend a lot of money. And besides, spending a lot of money is no guarantee that you'll find it.

Fat Yoda in the corner here says: "When you find a really great guitar, fucking keep it" you should...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Molly wrote:
Fat Yoda in the corner there says: "When you find a really great guitar, fucking sell it" you should...
Fixed, but I agree about the Strats... for most of them, there seems to be little correlation between price and sound quality. Luckily you have an exception to that rule on its way to meet you.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Adding to that: the plywood samick strat copy I have sounds real good

... when I hold the cable the right way, facing true east, standing on one leg.

(The jack is twatted :lol: )
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

Terexgeek wrote:With the implied value judgement of language like "rip off" it is important to remember that what drove the "lawsuit era" guitars was not a group of fiendish foreign types looking to steal from the noble American brands, but desperate guitarists in the US trying to buy Strats and Les Pauls that were well made and not really expensive.

Gibson and Fender were owned by corporations that were profit taking from the brands, cutting manufacturing costs, avoiding maintenance and generally producing average product at best. American guitar importers were aware of the issues and the demands from the market and answered those concerns using Japanese manufacturers.

The shapes sold were ordered by Americans from Japanese manufacturers because you couldn't buy a fifties style Strat from Fender or Les Paul from Gibson, but that was the style of instrument desired by the market. The quality of the manufacturing in Japan had reached a point in the late seventies that staff from Yamaha Japan were brought in when the Fender brand was rebuilt in the eighties to help revitalise American manufacturing of the product, not to mention the Japanese manufactured Fenders during this point in time to allow the rebuild to occur.

There are people who collect instruments from certain Japanese factories because of the quality of the wood and craftsmanship building those guitars.

Rip-off? This implies the brands were innocent victims in the degrading of their own product, in fact the copies acted as a place holder for the brands in the guitar market and even gave Fender the opportunity to play the same game with their Squier brand. It is good to realise that the money made by the Squier brand has built the Fender Custom shop, is it self sustaining? Of course, would it have happened if Fender hadn't the initial cash? Of course not.

Furthermore, if you dislike PRS building Strat style instruments, please feel free to extend your derision to Suhr, Charvel, Nash and all the other brands that have done so, and don't forget to pile on criticism of Fender's set neck instruments too.
Personally I think anything PRS does is well engineered and manufactured, irrespective of how anyone "feels" about the brand.
I think you may have read too much into my comment(s) on this.

I use the term 'rip-off' in its plain everyday sense and attach no significant judgement value to it at all. If you see the latest Toyota and it looks like last year's Rolls Royce you don't say it's not a ripoff because there's a gap in the market for cheaper Rolls Royces that do 500k and don't die.
So, whatever the history you can't deny that from an IP point of view those other guitars are rip-offs, and that's the dimension I was curious about.

Outside of that I really couldn't care about the issue; it is what it is. And as for those other manufacturers you invite me to extend my non-existent derision to, my natural conservatism and laziness combine to ensure I will never go out of my way to try one but if it happens and I get a good one I'm more than happy to be honest about that and not care what it looks like :)

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Fuckin ... yeah righto
Let’s not do that again
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

imarco
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by imarco »

Any updates? Hehe. Watching this closely.

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

"Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination"

Pitney Bowes Global Shipping program.....needs to circumnavigate the world a few times at great expense before landing in little old NZ

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Pitney Bowes ...the words send shivers down my spine.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

opsguy wrote:"Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination"

Pitney Bowes Global Shipping program.....needs to circumnavigate the world a few times at great expense before landing in little old NZ
Always exciting to have something on the way. Have Rockshop brought any in yet? Haven't seen them if they have.

imarco
Ashton
Ashton

Post by imarco »

The wait is torturing me. Haha

imarco
Ashton
Ashton

Post by imarco »

Molly wrote:
opsguy wrote:"Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination"

Always exciting to have something on the way. Have Rockshop brought any in yet? Haven't seen them if they have.
I'm sure if Rockshop has 1 it will be gone in seconds even when the price is x2. Hehe

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

it has arrived
first impressions...very nice guitar. Gig bag well made, headstock protector a nice touch. Neck is very comfortable, it's chunky and fills your hand. Really well built, can't fault it at all. so far so good. Date of manufacture: 6 June.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Huh, it has a scarf