PRS Silver Sky

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: PRS Silver Sky

Post by Danger Mouse »

mrmofo wrote:https://youtu.be/WjUq_Z3b1Y4

is it me or is JM way behind the beat?

worst VH Cover ever
Ah yes, that one... yep his timing is a complete mess and one thing you have to absolutely be able to do is nail the timing when playing anything created by EVH.

Was listening to some Van Halen yesterday, man Eddie really knows how to play around the beat.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Yeah, I suspect there's atmospheric reasons there (like substances...?)...there's no way a guitarist of JM's ability cocked it up to that extent through inability to actually play it technically or timing-wise. That was like Friday night at the Redoubt in Te Awamutu.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

Danger Mouse wrote:
mrmofo wrote:https://youtu.be/WjUq_Z3b1Y4

is it me or is JM way behind the beat?

worst VH Cover ever
Ah yes, that one... yep his timing is a complete mess and one thing you have to absolutely be able to do is nail the timing when playing anything created by EVH.

Was listening to some Van Halen yesterday, man Eddie really knows how to play around the beat.
he does, he is an underrated player imo. That might sound silly but he does get lumped in with Vinnie Vincent, CC Deville and others due to peoples perception he was an 80`s shredder.
women and children first will be the first record on the TT tonight.

in regards to timing, the band as a whole are behind, the singer is taking a relaxed approach to the vocals too which in my opinion doesn't really work that well for that song.
vital energy is missing from the overall performance.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

mrmofo wrote:
he does, he is an underrated player imo. That might sound silly but he does get lumped in with Vinnie Vincent, CC Deville and others due to peoples perception he was an 80`s shredder.
I know exactly what you mean. People say all the time they can play Van Halen, but they can't sound like Eddie. I pretty much put all of that on how Eddie can hold back or force notes even within a single riff, that add so much dynamic awesomeness to his playing. Same with his soloing, all very slight, very subtle, tiny hold back here, a wee push there... but unless you were also born with a metronome wedged up your backside, you're just not going to capture it.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Just watched the Andertons demo of this Paul weed Smith, and you can't say it doesn't sound good. Sounds damn good.
Make Music Great Again

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Clanger wrote:Just watched the Andertons demo of this Paul weed Smith, and you can't say it doesn't sound good. Sounds damn good.
I'll give that a listen. Thought it sounded kind of flat and characterless on the official PRS demo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Molly wrote:
Clanger wrote:Just watched the Andertons demo of this Paul weed Smith, and you can't say it doesn't sound good. Sounds damn good.
I'll give that a listen. Thought it sounded kind of flat and characterless on the official PRS demo.
Yep. Sounds great. Nails that Where The Light Is tone, eh? Suspect the amp helps a bit.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:
mrmofo wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. People say all the time they can play Van Halen, but they can't sound like Eddie. I pretty much put all of that on how Eddie can hold back or force notes even within a single riff, that add so much dynamic awesomeness to his playing. Same with his soloing, all very slight, very subtle, tiny hold back here, a wee push there... but unless you were also born with a metronome wedged up your backside, you're just not going to capture it.
Eddie is the complete player for sure, even his compositions are a unique and interesting. I love Eddie's playing and writing to the inverse proportion that I hate Dave and Sammy's writing and singing. Dave's atonal shrieks are like fingernails on a blackboard now for me. Oh well.
Tin arse!!

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Yeah but strat copy, derivative no design, too expensive, excuse me while I go drool over a Suhr...
Tin arse!!

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

you guys and your suhrs, geeze. I`ll take my vintage plus over any strat any day
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

mrmofo wrote:you guys and your suhrs, geeze. I`ll take my vintage plus over any strat any day
heh.

heh.

Yup yup.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

totes bro. easy.
blind test would prove it

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Nah nah tokai.

Round two: FIGHT.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Fun8pNFriM

This is a really good live stream - He fully addresses all the controversy .

i know it's phone steaming audio - but holy crap this makes me want one.
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

I like that it has 7.25" radius and vintage-size frets. I don't like anything else about the guitar.