All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Shimmer
Ibanez Talman TV750 (90s version)
Lost the whammy bar a while back - but I never used it anyway.
full.jpg
ADD_DESCRIPTION
BY olegmcnoleg
Shimmer wrote:Ibanez Talman TV750 (90s version)
full.jpg

Hmmm, one of those might make a good donor guitar for the project I have in mind.
BY GrantB
I had one of those. Never played it.
BY Shimmer
There were a few different models with various pickup configurations. I never use the middle lipstick pickup - sounds thin and weedy. But the little humbuckers are fantastic to my ears. And the neck profile suits me perfectly. That said, I have never owned a 'high-end' guitar. But this is enough guitar for me :)
BY Shimmer
olegmcnoleg wrote:
full.jpg

Hmmm, one of those might make a good donor guitar for the project I have in mind.

Hands off - no cutting up my guitar!! ;)
BY olegmcnoleg
Shimmer wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
full.jpg

Hands off - no cutting up my guitar!! ;)

Have no fear, I should be able to find another one. Are they made in Japan?
BY GrantB
Is a Strat technically an "offset"? Or does the body have to lean off 90 degrees?

First world serious question.
BY sunburster
GrantB wrote:Is a Strat technically an "offset"? Or does the body have to lean off 90 degrees?

Strat bodies are not offset. To be offset the inward cut or curve on the bottom half of the body has to be further back than the cut on the top half. Strats and Teles have symmetrical cuts.

Among classic Fenders the following have offset bodies: Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Mustang, Starcaster, Bass VI, Jazz Bass.
BY GrantB
sunburster wrote:
GrantB wrote:Is a Strat technically an "offset"? Or does the body have to lean off 90 degrees?

Strat bodies are not offset. To be offset the inward cut or curve on the bottom half of the body has to be further back than the cut on the top half. Strats and Teles have symmetrical cuts.

Among classic Fenders the following have offset bodies: Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Mustang, Starcaster, Bass VI, Jazz Bass.

I shall amend my post to show only true offset guitars. But I would argue that sloping forward only is half the story - what about guitars that have the higher part of the body sloping further back?

As per Gibson offsets?
BY Conway
GrantB wrote:But I would argue that sloping forward only is half the story - what about guitars that have the higher part of the body sloping further back?

As per Gibson offsets?

Those are not offsets, they are what we commonly refer to as firewood.
BY GrantB
Conway wrote:
GrantB wrote:But I would argue that sloping forward only is half the story - what about guitars that have the higher part of the body sloping further back?

As per Gibson offsets?

Those are not offsets, they are what we commonly refer to as firewood.

By “we” do you mean “Conway”?
BY sunburster
GrantB wrote:I shall amend my post to show only true offset guitars. But I would argue that sloping forward only is half the story - what about guitars that have the higher part of the body sloping further back?

As per Gibson offsets?

You're right, any asymmetry of the top and bottom inward cuts on a body would classify a guitar as an offset.