Show us your Offsets!!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: Show us your Offsets!!

Post by sirvill »

GrantB wrote: I shall amend my post to show only true offset guitars. But I would argue that sloping forward only is half the story - what about guitars that have the higher part of the body sloping further back?

As per Gibson offsets?

Are any Gibsons actually offset?

Firebirds and Explorers have a symmetrical waist - they appear offset but actually aren't.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

sirvill wrote:
GrantB wrote: I shall amend my post to show only true offset guitars. But I would argue that sloping forward only is half the story - what about guitars that have the higher part of the body sloping further back?

As per Gibson offsets?

Firebirds and Explorers have a symmetrical waist - they appear offset but actually aren't.
Not sure, but Reverb thinks so...

"Offset guitars refer to bodies with asymmetrical tops and bottoms. From classic examples like the Fender Jazzmaster and Gibson Firebird to wild '80s designs from builders like BC Rich, offset guitars have always offered players something a little different to stand out from more conventional body styles. Take a look at our selection of some of the coolest offset guitars and basses currently listed on Reverb. "
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

As I said, Gibson firewood.

GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

No matter how long I look at Jazzmasters and Mustangs, I don't feel any attraction. The shapes look perverted and mutant. Like a strat that was left behind at Chernobyl.

Is there anyone else out there who doesn't get the appeal?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Shimmer »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Shimmer wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Hmmm, one of those might make a good donor guitar for the project I have in mind.
Hands off - no cutting up my guitar!! ;)
Have no fear, I should be able to find another one. Are they made in Japan?
The 90s ones were made in Japan yes. The body is "resoncast" - basically mdf...
They re-issued them as such recently with a solid wood body. Also made in Japan

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Talman_models
I want all the pedals!

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

GrantB wrote:
sirvill wrote:

As per Gibson offsets?

Not sure, but Reverb thinks so...

"Offset guitars refer to bodies with asymmetrical tops and bottoms. From classic examples like the Fender Jazzmaster and Gibson Firebird to wild '80s designs from builders like BC Rich, offset guitars have always offered players something a little different to stand out from more conventional body styles. Take a look at our selection of some of the coolest offset guitars and basses currently listed on Reverb. "
Hmmm... wouldn't that definition make almost every guitar offset? Strat, Tele, Les Paul etc all have asymmetrical tops and bottoms.

I was reading this one before: http://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51499

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

werdna wrote:No matter how long I look at Jazzmasters and Mustangs, I don't feel any attraction. The shapes look perverted and mutant. Like a strat that was left behind at Chernobyl.

me ... I agree with everything you said
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

werdna wrote:No matter how long I look at Jazzmasters and Mustangs, I don't feel any attraction. The shapes look perverted and mutant. Like a strat that was left behind at Chernobyl.

I can understand finding them unusual, but I'm on the other side. To me JM's look like a version of a strat that isn't completely boring and bland... I have a hard time seeing the wow factor in 'nice' strats because they all just look plain to me.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

mule wrote: I have a hard time seeing the wow factor in 'nice' strats because they all just look plain to me.
the WOW factor is the whole design ... can't improve on perfection, well apart from putting a floyd on it :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

willow13 wrote:
mule wrote: I have a hard time seeing the wow factor in 'nice' strats because they all just look plain to me.
the WOW factor is the whole design ... can't improve on perfection, well apart from putting a floyd on it :rofl:

human eyes respond to symmetry ,its not shaped like a women with the waist etc by accident

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Figure this is good thread to get people’s opinions on the Jag on TM.
Are the CIJ pickups ok?
Does anyone know what radius the necks are on those?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1572845263

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Cij jazzmaster pickups were the oo err ones.
Suspect 7-1/4” on that but don’t take it as gospel. Very cool guitar.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

Reg18 wrote:Figure this is good thread to get people’s opinions on the Jag on TM.
Are the CIJ pickups ok?
Does anyone know what radius the necks are on those?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1572845263
Shame about the chip in the neck binding on that one. Otherwise it looks like a nice guitar.

As for specs/features: 7.25" radius, vintage-size frets. Pickups are OK, but not wax-potted and thus are microphonic (that doesn't bother me, but it does bother a lot of people). The electronics are noisy, with phantom buzzes and crackles when you touch certain parts of the guitar (happens on every CIJ jag I've tried, because they aren't properly shielded and grounded from the factory). Tremolo unit is junk, plan to swap that out with an American one if you ever want to use the trem.

Japanese jags have very cheap-looking, thin chrome plates that are not the same size as the American ones, and thus you can't swap American ones in without drilling new screw holes.

If I bought one I'd pay a luthier to re-wire and properly shield the whole thing, with better pickups. And a new tremolo unit. Maybe a new bridge too. But after you spend all the money on that you could have just bought an American Jag in the first place (with a nice nitro finish and G&G hardcase), so it's not really worth it.

I've owned several Japanese jags, but sold them all. The American ones are so much better for not a whole lot more money. Among all the Japanese Fenders, I think the Jags are the worst in comparison to their American counterparts.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

That sounds like great fun!
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.