The Acoustic Guitar Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: The Acoustic Guitar Thread

Post by kdawg2a »

k1w1 wrote:
jvpp wrote:Some really nice gear there gents.
Here my three acoustics. A Yamaha 12 string (FG230) which plays nicely after I reset the neck. Another Yamaha small body guitar (APX-10) which feels and plays like an electric. And my favourite, a K. Yairi DY52 of 1994 with a lovely pickup system.

Nice, last August I reset the neck and steamed the top flat on this 1966 Stella 12 string, the thing is a cannon, all birch body.

ImageIMG_1434 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr
Leadbelly! That is killer too!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

jeremyb wrote: Bonkers, I'd be terrified of replacing strings on an 80 year old instrument!!!
Changing strings is a breeze, installing a truss rod took some more effort!

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

jvpp wrote:Not familiar with Stella guitars but looks very cool. Are you still tuning to concert pitch after the neck reset? Or you tune a step down to avoid reintroducing the problem?
Harmony made, they bought the name in the 1930s from Oscar Schmidt. I currently tune down a full step, with the reset I put a brace in line with the neck perpendicular to the brace above the sound hole, sucker isn't going to move any time soon.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jvpp wrote:
Molly wrote:
jvpp wrote:
I see that Yamaha and hear 'Whole Hearted' and 'More than Words' by Extreme. I had exactly the same one and had to play those two songs as part of a cabaret set... :-(

Edit. Feck. Wrong one. The other one... LOL
Fixed. Was it hard to learn? Did you sing as well?
Keyboard player was a 'proper' musician so helped me take it apart and learn it. Pre YouTube of course. I didn't sing. Just the guitar monkey.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

jvpp wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:1993 K Yairi DY52.

Made by a man in Kani, Gifu, Japan.

Kazuo Yairi is a legend!

I was playing one like yours at a school when I picked up my daughter. Normally schools have crap guitars for the students, but they had this one somehow. Even with one hundred year old strings on it, it sounded special. A short time later the exact model shows up (with pickup) at the Henderson cashies and became mine.
Can I see the back of yours? And could i cheekily ask what you paid for the yairi from cashies?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

I'll take some pics tomorrow. Bought it quite a few years ago now and think I paid around $525 or so. Well worth it. How about yours?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Vince wrote:I detest those "moustache" bridges that make guitars look like the Pringles bloke
Fucking 10/10
Made my night
Someone get this guy an award
olegmcnoleg wrote:no pedals to fatten out the sound.
Sometimes I plug mine into the bass muff and use the dry out. :thumbup: Sounds immense.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Never had any acoustic GAS, have it in my head that it will be too loud and hard to play. In fact I think Molly bought a classical guitar off me for those very reasons haha.

Having said that, nice acquisition :-)

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Vince wrote:I have three basses:

No pedal is going to save your life and once you've got a nice, clean tone happening, you don't really need much else. I've got a powered PA speaker, I don't think I will ever need anything else. Which is why I don't often post about gear.

Acoustics often look quite similar among themselves, too, so there's not much to discuss looks-wise (though I detest those "moustache" bridges that make guitars look like the Pringles bloke)

With acoustics, there's not much you can do besides shut up and play yer guitar. Which is probably why we don't often discuss them.

not quite sure i agree there, amazing what some added reverb, or chorus or delay can do and even compression to boost the single note bits
theres a lot of satisfaction to be had playing with pedals and acoustics but it has to be louder than what your hearing projected from the top to blend in obviously
Any good acoustic recording or live stage stuff hass usually been eq'd and processed probably to the same or higher level than the electric

looks wise even unplayed they can be works of art or paintings to look at, personal tastes obviously but I'd line the walls with them as art if I was allowed,

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Molly wrote:
jvpp wrote:
I see that Yamaha and hear 'Whole Hearted' and 'More than Words' by Extreme. I had exactly the same one and had to play those two songs as part of a cabaret set... :-(

Edit. Feck. Wrong one. The other one... LOL
damn that wholehearted is a great song to play on acoustic, can't really understand why the song doesn't work as a song but the riffs and those open stringed chords are stunning just on there own. nuno makes it look so effortless and you can tell it started as some guitar noodling
if you bust that out at a party most wouldn't even pick the song but it still makes you sound impressive :)

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

This is my little Harmony made Stella parlour from 1963.
phpqz2UxRPM.jpg
It stays in open D tuning. It sounds like it was made from a rotting, wooden, front stoop of a Mississippi shack.
I think this cost me $70.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

jvpp wrote:I'll take some pics tomorrow. Bought it quite a few years ago now and think I paid around $525 or so. Well worth it. How about yours?
Eventually got it down to $400 from a guy relocating to Aussie and didn't have the time to wait for a better price. It was on TM at $600 but the pictures sucked. I had $433 in my bank and shot him an offer which he accepted.

He still had the original receipt for $1199 from a Music Planet somewhere.

The guy had a kid about 6 years earlier and put the guitar in a closet where it remained until it came to me. His dog had a couple of chews at it, hence the damage on the lower bout but it's an absolutely stunning guitar, sounds like a grand piano.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Figured I'd better post a couple of pics also, since this is my Favourite Thread Ever!

1954 Martin 0017. All mahogany. Weighs about as much as a butterfly's wing. The picture is quite flattering, it has a lot of, er, character.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

:shock:

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

k1w1 wrote:
jvpp wrote:Not familiar with Stella guitars but looks very cool.
I think Stellas. being cheap, were played by a lot of the legendary, black, acoustic blues men. Gives them added cachet.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook