The Acoustic Guitar Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Re: The Acoustic Guitar Thread

Post by Olderama »

Love the sound of acoustic
Hate the looks of acoustic they just don’t seem to fit in my head what a guitar should be
I dunno why ?
Congrats of the NGD mate :)
:mental:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Olderama wrote:Love the sound of acoustic
Hate the looks of acoustic they just don’t seem to fit in my head what a guitar should be
I dunno why ?
Congrats of the NGD mate :)
Cheers Oldie.

:thumbup:

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

There’s a lowden on trademe at the moment. I bet that’s a great guitar. Demos online sound pretty special.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I really enjoy my Taylor 114CE, and one day I’ll hopefully upgrade to a 314CE like yours molly :)

I played the amazing selection that came to Christchurch on the Taylor roadshow many years ago, and surprisingly I really loved the 814 that was there, but that will never be appropriate:)

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I had a larrivee d03(?) many years ago. Fuck it was a good guitar.
Broke student life dictated something had to give for whatever reason, and I ended up selling it to a lawyer.

My mother got me two cheaper acoustics for my 23rd birthday.
A Takamine d something, with a pickup, and a cutaway. It was black.
The neck on it was lovely and fat, but for some reason I was always in pain after I played it. It went to a girl in wanaka.

The other is a pink 7/8ish size fender small body. Quilt and all sorts of veneer, and a simple fender F at the 12th. Has a permanent temporary fishman pickup in it.

Picture to come.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

I have a Crafter GA7 that I'm pretty sure I bought off PolarBear. I wandered into MP in Welly looking for a Yamaha FG720 or similar, got some good advice and never looked back. I love this thing. As a bedroom player I don't know/care if it sounds decent at a distance, but it sounds pretty fucking wonderful to me.

Had a set of 11's sitting on it for a long time... I mean, years. And it sounded pretty great. Put some fresh 13's on last week and I am not happy whatsoever, so I'll be back to the 11's this weekend.

candiman
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by candiman »

On my second Taylor Mini after the old man taxed the first one - its get played almost every day. Also a lovely sounding 1982 Yairi Bob Weir model that gets played very little because I don't love the vintage frets.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Slowy wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:I'm a bit of an acoustic nut. I have a Lowden 87ish O10 which is a beast and a 62 Gibson LG0 which is the complete opposite in terms of sound. And an old 30's Hilo slide guitar.
The best guitars of any type I have ever met all wore the name Lowden.
I've never played one that wasn't amazing. But I've only played 3 . . .

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I have three basses:

A Crafter AB400 which I really love as it has a small body meaning the sound is quite well balanced between lows and highs (bought it from Polar Bear as Music Planet)

A Breedlove 5 string that is a lovely instrument but has a cedar top which means it's no use to me

An Aria 4 string fretless, which I really love (F holes!) but being fretless, I'm still having trouble being always spot-on perfect when playing chords (I do that a lot)

Guitar-wise, I have an Epi biscuit resonator (wooden, single cone) which I quite like, the couple of times a year I pick it up. But when guitar players come visit, it's nice for them to have something to jam on.

I guess there's not a lot to be said about acoustics, they're either IT or they're not. It's very personal.

No pedal is going to save your life and once you've got a nice, clean tone happening, you don't really need much else. I've got a powered PA speaker, I don't think I will ever need anything else. Which is why I don't often post about gear.

Acoustics often look quite similar among themselves, too, so there's not much to discuss looks-wise (though I detest those "moustache" bridges that make guitars look like the Pringles bloke)

With acoustics, there's not much you can do besides shut up and play yer guitar. Which is probably why we don't often discuss them.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Vince wrote: I guess there's not a lot to be said about acoustics, they're either IT or they're not. It's very personal.

No pedal is going to save your life and once you've got a nice, clean tone happening, you don't really need much else. I've got a powered PA speaker, I don't think I will ever need anything else. Which is why I don't often post about gear.

With acoustics, there's not much you can do besides shut up and play yer guitar. Which is probably why we don't often discuss them.
I think this hits the nail right on the head. When you pick up an acoustic, you can either play, or you cannot. There is nothing to hide behind, no high gain to smooth over the uneven parts, no pedals to fatten out the sound. Just you and your talent, and an uncomfortably-shaped box with strings that are hard to hold down.

My acoustics make a fool of me most days :crazy:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Vince wrote: I guess there's not a lot to be said about acoustics, they're either IT or they're not. It's very personal.

I think this hits the nail right on the head. When you pick up an acoustic, you can either play, or you cannot. There is nothing to hide behind, no high gain to smooth over the uneven parts, no pedals to fatten out the sound. Just you and your talent, and an uncomfortably-shaped box with strings that are hard to hold down.

I find an acoustic makes me play / learn songs. My electric playing is almost entirely noodling over something.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
SERIOUSLY?!!!!!!
Now I really am depressed. :(
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

This is the longest serving acoustic I have and it's a wee jem, K Yairi GF-1 made in 2003. I've taken it with me on my world travels thanks to the free flight case Music Planet chucked in on the 2003 price of $700. She's not loud but she feels and sounds amazing and sweet.
phpQAFOU0PM.jpg
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

I adore my Alvarez Delta 00 Deluxe!

It’s a total blues machine - fully mahogany with gorgeous midrange. Wide, wide fingerboard for finger style, and a fairly pronounced V for the neck.

It’s got an exceptional amount of character and of all my guitars right now it’s the one I play the most.

Yes, I do dream of buying a Martin 000-15M sometime in the future but this thing is so weirdly perfect in my hands and ears that I’m very happy for now.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

1993 K Yairi DY52.

Made by a man in Kani, Gifu, Japan.