All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Molly
Zaulkin wrote:
Molly wrote:It's for my new New Seekers band. Or that one that did Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.

Looks like a great guitar to learn the first few chords of Ocean on, then sell on Trademe. :D

More than I learned on the last one...
BY snitchez
Slowy wrote:.
The next rabbit hole is body size. 000's and OM's are better balanced for fingerpicking but unless you're in a studio, who cares. The solid boom and sheer power of a Rosewood Dreadnaught is a thing of beauty and very addictive. Three times over the years I went out to buy a small body/mahogany guitar to compliment my D28.
I played everything available and three times came home with a Rosewood Dreadnaught. :roll:
There's nothing better!

I’m in tht situation now. I think the lesson is to always go bigger, jumbo anyone?
BY Slowy
snitchez wrote:
The next rabbit hole is body size. 000's and OM's are better balanced for fingerpicking but unless you're in a studio, who cares. The solid boom and sheer power of a Rosewood Dreadnaught is a thing of beauty and very addictive. Three times over the years I went out to buy a small body/mahogany guitar to compliment my D28.
I played everything available and three times came home with a Rosewood Dreadnaught. :roll:
There's nothing better!

I’m in tht situation now. I think the lesson is to always go bigger, jumbo anyone?

The thing I'd like to explore is the 12 fret Dreadnaught. Jumbos seem to work best as big strummers. (But not much thunder)
BY snitchez
Slowy wrote:
snitchez wrote:
There's nothing better!

The thing I'd like to explore is the 12 fret Dreadnaught. Jumbos seem to work best as big strummers. (But not much thunder)

Martin HD28VS. I did a sooty and missed out on one local to me. Lesson learnt, if you keep going back to try a guitar 7 times over 4 months, buy it before it’s too late.
BY Molly
Got this last week but had to wait until today to put fresh strings on and give it a clean. Found myself wanting to play it. That might sound odd but it's not always the case that I look forward to playing a particular guitar.

Martin J12-16GT.

Pic makes it look yellowy. It's not at all. Just the light in the lounge.
BY SimonHirst
Molly wrote:Got this last week but had to wait until today to put fresh strings on and give it a clean. Found myself wanting to play it. That might sound odd but it's not always the case that I look forward to playing a particular guitar.

Martin J12-16GT.

That's a beauty Molly. How does it play? It's a Martin so I'm not going to condescendingly ask if it sounds good...ha! :wink:
BY Molly
SimonHirst wrote:
Molly wrote:Got this last week but had to wait until today to put fresh strings on and give it a clean. Found myself wanting to play it. That might sound odd but it's not always the case that I look forward to playing a particular guitar.

Martin J12-16GT.

That's a beauty Molly. How does it play? It's a Martin so I'm not going to condescendingly ask if it sounds good...ha! :wink:

At first I thought the action was a bit high. Compared it to a couple of others in RS yesterday and it was much the same. Removed the Fishman yesterday that the previous owner had had fitted. He hadn't taken down the bridge to compensate so I guess that party explains the action. It's better now. All acoustics seem difficult to play to me (especially a $6k 12 fret Taylor I played yesterday...). Local builder told me acoustic instruments need to be worked and that heavier strings are a must. I can see the logic in that but I won't play it if it fights me. So I've fitted the lightest set of strings I could find and have it down a tone. To me it sounds wonderful. :-)

It's in 'good used' condition I'd say. I'm not afraid to scratch it anyway. So it's living in the lounge.
BY Molly
robnobcorncob wrote:
Slowy wrote:https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/instruments/guitar-bass/acoustic-guitars/auction-1596860550.htm?rsqid=13b32aa57b1149b0abc4e0679e6ab5a2

I played this in the store. Just lovely.

Mmmmmm a 12 fretter! Very nice.

Agreed. Like the way they tuck in. Want one. Tried that Godin spin-off brand (forget its name) in RS recently. About $600. Would like to find one second-hand.