All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY AiRdAd
as always great work Si
BY opsguy
After selling my Taylor 314 to Molly, I went about looking for a small bodied guitar because thats what I thought I wanted (turns out it wasn't).....then bought a D28 (2012). First decent Martin I have owned and I am really impressed. Made my Mini Maton sound and feel like a ukulele. I promptly sold it, No regerts.
Wondering now about Mahogany vs Rosewood, scalloped bracing.....there is a lot to learn.
ImageImageImage
BY Molly
Congrats. Sounds like you're peering over the edge of a rabbit hole...

I bought a Martin too the other day. Bought in total ignorance ...
BY opsguy
Molly wrote:Congrats. Sounds like you're peering over the edge of a rabbit hole...

I bought a Martin too the other day. Bought in total ignorance ...

Definitely going down a rabbit hole....I thought you got a good buy with that Martin, you certainly won’t lose any money on it if you decide to move it on.
BY olegmcnoleg
Two nice Martins there. Congrats gents. I sold a Martin today, my ‘64 D18. Feels like I’m going against the tide. I’m not sure what to get next yet.
BY Slowy
opsguy wrote:After selling my Taylor 314 to Molly, I went about looking for a small bodied guitar because thats what I thought I wanted (turns out it wasn't).....then bought a D28 (2012). First decent Martin I have owned and I am really impressed. Made my Mini Maton sound and feel like a ukulele. I promptly sold it, No regerts.
Wondering now about Mahogany vs Rosewood, scalloped bracing.....there is a lot to learn.

No man ever did wrong buying a D28. To explore the Mahogany effect, you should get in touch with Oleg. His D18 is a prime example of the breed.
It's easy to compare with scalloped bracing, just get your hands on a HD28. They are different; not better, different. They project slightly more to my ears. If you had a duo with 28s, you'd have one of each. The D28 laying down the rhythm parts and the HD28 picking out the lead.

The next rabbit hole is body size. 000's and OM's are better balanced for fingerpicking but unless you're in a studio, who cares. The solid boom and sheer power of a Rosewood Dreadnaught is a thing of beauty and very addictive. Three times over the years I went out to buy a small body/mahogany guitar to compliment my D28.
I played everything available and three times came home with a Rosewood Dreadnaught. :roll:
There's nothing better!
BY Conway
olegmcnoleg wrote:Two nice Martins there. Congrats gents. I sold a Martin today, my ‘64 D18. Feels like I’m going against the tide. I’m not sure what to get next yet.

A beautiful carbon fibre green/blue flip flop paint ‘coustic. I think you know the one... :wink:
BY Dharmajester
Molly wrote:This is mine. Further down the range I guess but US made and the YouTube demos sound nice. It's a J12 16GT.

Is that for your new "Seekers" covers band?
BY Zaulkin
Molly wrote:It's for my new New Seekers band. Or that one that did Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.

Looks like a great guitar to learn the first few chords of Ocean on, then sell on Trademe. :D