All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Favourite size fret?

Small,
16%
Medium
5%
Medium jumbo
32%
Jumbo
47%
BY Reg18
What size frets are people’s favourite?

Material type? Stainless or nickel
Silver?

An insert from something I found online about Dunlop fretwire.
6230: The smallest fret wire found on older Fender necks (.078″ x .043″).
6150: Vintage jumbo. Much wider but not as tall as 6230 (.102″ x .042″).
6105: Modern narrow and tall; currently very popular (.090″ x .055″).
6100: Jumbo. The largest fret wire available (.110″ x .055″).
6130: Medium jumbo (.106″ x .036″).

For the poll I’ve just narrowered it down to small, medium, medium jumbo and jumbo.
However any other types options can be discussed below.
BY Zaulkin
I like stainless jumbo. They just feel nice and make it easy to bend. Super slinky. The stainless ones have a slightly more plinky sound than nickel.
BY Clanger
Jumbo, but I like the sound of those modern narrow talls. Jumbo is good for bending but feel a bit bulky when sliding up or down.
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
6150’s on my John Mayer Strat neck, gotta say they are the best feeling ones I’ve played. Seems like they make bends a bit easier.
BY SimpleSi
I love 6130 mainly for the width of the fret.
BY jeremyb
Whatever's on the guitar I'm playing :lol:

But yeah, bigger is better / easier to play for me...
BY telefiend
Not super fussy, but can't stand the bigger ones. Feel like I'm playing on speedbumps or something with those. Partial to tiny ones that feel barely there.
BY Single coil
The big fuckoff ones. When they inevitably wear (given they aren’t stainless), there’s still shitloads of meat there.
BY Molly
I prefer tall, wide D profile frets as I want to be able to tuck under the non-sounding strings when I bend.

For all that I can happily adjust to other arrangements. My Radian just about plays itself and the frets are quite skinny. Same goes for neck profile. A week on the SG and '89 Strat and the Radian neck feels chunky.
BY Reg18
My Tele neck has fairly small frets (.079 x 0.51) and after playing a few different guitars recently (notably a Yamaha RS620 with jumbo frets) the small frets are starting to annoy me.
Where is the best place to buy fret wire in NZ?
BY willow13
I like narrow and tall but aren't really to fussed although I really don't like the huge wide ones :rofl:
BY willow13
Reg18 wrote:My Tele neck has fairly small frets (.079 x 0.51) and after playing a few different guitars recently (notably a Yamaha RS620 with jumbo frets) the small frets are starting to annoy me.
Where is the best place to buy fret wire in NZ?

leave the small frets in and scallop the board...much quicker than a refret and its basically free :rofl: