Happy Accident & 490's

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Happy Accident & 490's

Post by sizzlingbadger »

So....

I was all set to sell my Mesa TC50 as I had bought a Laney 5L Studio Head and matching 1x12 Cab. It is a great little amp and sounded really nice through the G12H30 which was standard in the Lionheart cab.

Then the other day I decided to plug the TC50 into the Lionheart cab just for fun and ended up realising my mistake. The TC50 is awesome ! I just need to get rid of the V30 I was running it through in the IRT cab.

A quick call to the music shop to explain my predicament and they agreed I could return the Lionheart Head & Cab for store credit. I returned the amp & cab and while there picked up a 2017 Gibson SG special as it was just fantastic. It has 490R/T pickups but I thought I could just change them out later.

I hatched a plan based on losing the least amount of cash possible, If I bought the SG and sold the Vox Virage I would come out pretty much even.

Get home, plug the SG in and the 490's sound great, have bonded with the SG straight away, so light and resonant. The neck just fits me perfect and I can't put the thing down - very happy !

The Vox Virage reluctantly has to go now though as I have to pay some cash back into the coffers but I can live with that :D
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Happy Accident & 490's

Post by JHorner »

Buying an SG. The inevitable result that comes from selling an SG.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

I will have a SG oneday :)
:mental:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I know, its so maddening how my mind works sometimes, I'm now back with an SG and my Mesa TC50. Hoping to get a Creamback for my cab soon. I was adamant the 490's would be crap too, but they are really nice in this guitar. The neck is a bit bassy but after adjusting it a bit I dialled it out.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...