Replacing a nut - easy DIY job or not?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Replacing a nut - easy DIY job or not?

Post by Mini Forklift »

Hey all,

I've had issues with my top strings 'sitaring' for a while; took my guitar in to be serviced once and then back in for this particular issue about a month after the service. Had the string tree replaced and was told the string had a kink in it.

Was okay for a few weeks but now it's back again and sending me mad, looking at the original 25yr old nut I'm thinking that could be the issue. It's pretty much worn down and level with the neck where the B and E strings sit.

So... easy fix to do yourself or not? Appreciate any tips. Chur MF.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Replacing a nut - easy DIY job or not?

Post by Molly »

This issue with Strats drives me nuts. My CS jobbie recently started doing it too. Maybe it's my string brand or something.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Depends how good you are at making those kinds of things, probably not that easy. You can buy a nut blank and use a hacksaw and a knife to do the slots on the cheap, but like anything you may not get it perfect on the first try. I haven't made a nut yet but I'm not expecting my first one to be great.

If I was you id just get a new nut made up by a luthier, it'll probably be better quality and last you a long time. If you do want to do your own though there are tutorials on YouTube to give you an idea.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Alan F in chch put a new bone one into my Les Paul for about $30, while I like DIY it didn't seem cost effective for me to give it a nudge. (and risk screwing it up)
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

I have seen preslotted nuts around but you would have to check string spacings, correct glue and have the right tools to make adjustments, ie nut slotting saws or files for correct string gauge and depth. Its not something ive done yet but I agree first try might not be perfect. I cant imagine it would cost to much for luthier to do.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Actually now I remember, I replaced a nut in a Squier strat I had. It was one of the pre-cut ones from that guitar parts website. It was easy to install and actually perfect, but I'm pretty sure that was pure luck more than anything. I'm going to get a pro to do my SG.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Yeah get Alan to do it, you can buy a graphtech or similar pre-slotted nut, designed for a strat or tele or lezzie etc, and replacing it's not hard, done it before myself, however it still may need shimming or sanding down a bit to get the string height perfect.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I made a cow bone one, hours of precision type work there. I used feeler gauges that I filed teeth into as slotters. Dunno where I ever found the time looking back now. Very worthwhile thing to do though. I may try aluminium next time.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

If the slots are worn down then you could fill them with bone dust or similar, and supa glue. Google the StewMac tutorial on that.

$30 for a new bone nut? That's one heck of a price, given that the bone blank is an easy $10. Normal pricing would be in the $65 to $80 range for a new bone nut and associated setup.

Making a new nut from scratch so that it looks professional & works perfectly is not an easy task.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Yes. It's simple. Takes about 20 minutes all up.

I'd suggest a nu-bone nut - these are Graphtech Tusq nuts under a different name (they're actually made from the offcuts of Tusq nuts reconstituted into another nut) and are $5.50 from the Cockshop.

With your existing nut, score around the edges with a razor blade then tap it out from the side with a screwdriver and some light taps of a hammer. Scrape any goop out of the slot with the razor blade and then add a single drop of super glue to the nut and place it in the slot. Job done.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

GrantB wrote:If the slots are worn down then you could fill them with bone dust or similar, and supa glue. Google the StewMac tutorial on that.

$30 for a new bone nut? That's one heck of a price, given that the bone blank is an easy $10. Normal pricing would be in the $65 to $80 range for a new bone nut and associated setup.

Making a new nut from scratch so that it looks professional & works perfectly is not an easy task.
I tell a slight lie, I found the ready for pickup txt, it was $35. Still mint pricing.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

NippleWrestler wrote:Yes. It's simple. Takes about 20 minutes all up.

I'd suggest a nu-bone nut - these are Graphtech Tusq nuts under a different name (they're actually made from the offcuts of Tusq nuts reconstituted into another nut) and are $5.50 from the Cockshop.

With your existing nut, score around the edges with a razor blade then tap it out from the side with a screwdriver and some light taps of a hammer. Scrape any goop out of the slot with the razor blade and then add a single drop of super glue to the nut and place it in the slot. Job done.
I must be doing it wrong :wink:

I disagree with the notion it is simple or easy. Some are for sure. But a degree of expertise is required for anything other than an el-cheapo fix up.

Can I suggest some other points to think about given the nut is one of the most critical components on a guitar (I know many believe colour to be the most critical).

- Nut removal...just tapping it out may or may not work. When it doesn't you run the risk of taking out pieces of wood! There are many ways to remove an old nut depending on the situation...I've seen this step wreak havoc on a vintage guitar!
- Nut base leveling. What if the slot needs work? It must be perfectly flat. The old nut might have taken some wood with it (why I don't use supa glue).
- Nut reshaping - what if the nut is the wrong size? String spacing out? What are measurements for string spacing from the edge?
- Slot depth, angle, size and shape. A science in itself.
- Don't use supa glue. In my view, your better off with slight groove filed into one front corner of the nut and a dot of white glue or TiteBond etc to stop the nut moving or coming loose. Supaglue, whilst magical in many applications can be heartbreak in a bottle if it goes pear shaped...

TL;DR - take it to an expert.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Stew Mac have a tool you can recreate with a feeler gauge and elastic band which will, in theory, prevent you filing too deeply.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Grant is on the money.

A proper bone nut made from scratch to match the instrument is a worthy investment and there is a reason why it costs more than an off the shelf option (which often still requires nut slot filing to the proper depth). Leave it to the pros.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

robnobcorncob wrote:Grant is on the money.

A proper bone nut made from scratch to match the instrument is a worthy investment and there is a reason why it costs more than an off the shelf option (which often still requires nut slot filing to the proper depth). Leave it to the pros.
I agree, and would never consider doing a nut job myself :lol: .
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...