Replacing a nut - easy DIY job or not?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Replacing a nut - easy DIY job or not?

Post by GrantB »

Doing a nut job yourself always ends up costing you :mental:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

+1 for Alan F, he's a working man's stringed instrument tech - sharp pricing and great service. I have only done a nut job on my cheapo ukulele and yes, cocked that one up too. Now the C string is bouncing out of the slot when strummed too hard. Still can't be arsed fixing it (shimming and cutting)... should've just taken it to Alan.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

chur wrote:Alan F in chch put a new bone one into my Les Paul for about $30, while I like DIY it didn't seem cost effective for me to give it a nudge. (and risk screwing it up)
Thanks for all the helpful comments guys. I'm probably going to take it into Alan F next week, the neck is from my early 90's Strat and I'd be gutted if I screwed it up!

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I never really gave it much thought when I changed the nut myself on my LP Classic. Musta fluked it!
Loving it so far

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I've installed and replaced about 20 nuts in my life. You can buy straight dropins from a variety of manufacturers, addressing the "will it fit" question. I have had zero problems in my guitars or on other guitars I've worked on. Replacing a nut is definitely doable by a novice.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

NippleWrestler wrote:I've installed and replaced about 20 nuts in my life. You can buy straight dropins from a variety of manufacturers, addressing the "will it fit" question. I have had zero problems in my guitars or on other guitars I've worked on. Replacing a nut is definitely doable by a novice.
What's the best way to remove the old nut?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Give it a go! You might be fine.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Close enough.

9/10

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:I've installed and replaced about 20 nuts in my life. You can buy straight dropins from a variety of manufacturers, addressing the "will it fit" question. I have had zero problems in my guitars or on other guitars I've worked on. Replacing a nut is definitely doable by a novice.
Hammer and chisel.... score all around it with a stanley knife then get something sharp under the outside edge (like a small screwdriver) and tap it upwards. With a bit of luck it'll come out without taking wood ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: What's the best way to remove the old nut?
A block of wood laid flat on the fretboard and tapped against the nut. That always worked for me and somehow felt safer.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
I must be getting old....

Two bricks is the accepted way, dangle the pair between or just the afflicted one and have a close friend clap the bricks together - SMASH, no more worrisome nuts!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: What's the best way to remove the old nut?
A block of wood laid flat on the fretboard and tapped against the nut. That always worked for me and somehow felt safer.
all joking aside. follow the stewmac methods at
http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Re ... Setup.html

You don't need their umpteen special tools....

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

For the price Alan F charges, I'd get him to do it. As I'm assuming Grant B is subtly alluding to above, while using a pre-slotted nut will get you close, to get it perfect to suit your neck, string spacing, gauge and personal action etc spot on, getting it done by a pro would be money well spent. Even if Alan uses pre-slotted nuts, he will file the slots to suit your needs.

Just my 2c.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
chur wrote:Alan F in chch put a new bone one into my Les Paul for about $30, while I like DIY it didn't seem cost effective for me to give it a nudge. (and risk screwing it up)
Thanks for all the helpful comments guys. I'm probably going to take it into Alan F next week, the neck is from my early 90's Strat and I'd be gutted if I busted a nut on it!
*fixxored*
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.