Guitars you have regretted selling

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: Guitars you have regretted selling

Post by H671 »

One acoustic got borrowed permanently & I only ever sold 3 guitars of which one was a mint condition Antoria which would
have been nice to keep. It was very unusual in having a cut away with F holes plus a round sound hole.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

No regrets. Sometimes I think I could have kept my Ash custom, but then again it wasn't quite the right sound for me.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I don't really regret selling anything per se, but there are heaps of guitars that I probably would have held onto if money was no object.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

I would be able to contribute a lot more to a "guitars I should have bought" thread.

My wife's cousin is a session guitar guy and he has literally never sold a guitar - has one of those big basements full of guitars. It's a rule with him apparently. Unfortunately he lives in the US and not in a state I have any reason to visit!
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

A Fender Jaguar I had to sell to fund payments on a digital 8 track I bought back in the 90s. I still miss that Jag.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Delayman wrote:I would be able to contribute a lot more to a "guitars I should have bought" thread.

My wife's cousin is a session guitar guy and he has literally never sold a guitar - has one of those big basements full of guitars. It's a rule with him apparently. Unfortunately he lives in the US and not in a state I have any reason to visit!
I didn't buy a 1968 Paisley Telecaster Bass from CJ's because $995 was "to pricey" in 1989

Sigh.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I probably miss my Squier Supersonic's the most. They're not an expensive guitar, but they don't come up at all now. They look super cool, and have a lovely short scale neck.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Not really. Is just an inanimate object after all. Selling to pay for shit that does not work out causes more regret because it mean poor choices were made, but who's perfect huh.

I do sometimes regret being too tight fisted to hit buy now on pedals on trademe and some other fv<ker gets it and the pedal type does not appear again on there for yonks.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Music Man EVH model. Sold it (at a profit) then subsequently missed the shit out of it for years. I ended up buying an Axis years later (I still have it) which is of course a virtually identical guitar with some VERY minor refinements. As far as a guitar goes, I like the Axis slightly better - but damn I miss the cool factor of having the old EVH model.

Gibson LP Standard Goldtop '09. I originally bought my '09 Standard cos is was "a good one". Felt brilliant out of the box and sounded killer after a pickup swap. Gigged it lots for a few years and then eventually sold it (too cheap) when i "upgraded" to a Les Paul R8. The reality of my "upgrade" was that the R8 was maybe a 10% better guitar (for double the money) - but I ended up really missing the feel, sound and look of my old Goldtop Standard. Very regretful sale. I'd love to get that guitar back.

Ibanez RG570
My first ever "good" guitar was an Ibanez RG570 that I acquired brand new at the age of 14. I gradually outgrew that guitar (once I discovered Fenders) and sold it on to a friend. Years later, he wanted to cash it up so I bought it back off him (in my mid 20's) and tripped out on it for a while before figuring out that I had no real need for it and sold it on AGAIN cos i needed the money.

Cut forward today and I'd just like to own it again - for sentimental value and because as a shred-stick - it was bloody good.

I actually ran into the very guitar when I hosted the Michael Angelo Batio clinic in 2008 or 09. A kid came along to the Auckland show with his Dad and had brought a guitar in for MAB to sign. I conversationally asked what sort of Ibanez it was upon recognisng the case as a 90's era Ibanez case. The kid opened the case and my eyes popped out of my head. It was MY guitar. Paint chips in the same place, and STILL had the same replacement DiMarzios that I had installed myself back in about 1997. I was totally tripped out and started gassing onto the kid and his dad how that was MY old guitar. They got totally worried cos they thought I was implying they stole it or something. :lol: Obviously I told them that wasn't the case, I just was tripped out to see it. Seemed like it had a good home. Ever since then, I keep wondering if I'll ever cross paths with that guitar a fourth time. Seems unlikely now I live in Australia, but...you never know.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

There was a Gibson Les Paul Special Doublecut that I regretted settling for years. I managed to but the exact same guitar back a year or so ago and the regret died pretty quickly. I love those guitars, but that one didn't feel right to me at ask any more.

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

I sold a really nice MIJ Fender Telecaster JD, a Jerry Donahue model that I purchased trying to be Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys, I'd put DiMarzio pups in to match and everything but never really liked the V-shaped neck. Miss it now though as it was a fun project and represented a fun time. Also sold a great Ibanez Lawsuit Les Paul to fund a trip to a wedding.....and the trip was horrible.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

standardfour wrote:I sold a really nice MIJ Fender Telecaster JD, a Jerry Donahue model that I purchased trying to be Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys, I'd put DiMarzio pups in to match and everything but never really liked the V-shaped neck. Miss it now though as it was a fun project and represented a fun time.
LOL, I had one of these too, in red with white binding, and sold it for the same reason. Great guitar, I should have put in more time to get used to it.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

I regret selling this rig, LOUD AF, Yeah I know its not a guitar lol

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
LOL, I had one of these too, in red with white binding, and sold it for the same reason. Great guitar, I should have put in more time to get used to it.
Absolutely....that V-shaped neck was really odd, and it was a time when I was learning....just made every note that much harder to reach. Now that I'm talking about it I'm actually feeling much better about selling that guitar. Seeya laters JD. They seemed quite rare though, maybe slightly collectable.

mitch311
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 4 times

Post by mitch311 »

Almost sold my Ibanez RGA321. I'm glad I didn't. No regrets for any of the guitars I actually have sold.