Help identifying a strat body

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Help identifying a strat body

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

I have a strat body for sale on TM at the moment (the one I posted here a little while ago).

See here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1360553309

I believe it is made in the USA, but someone has asked me if I have any proof. And I don't... :(

I've done a fair bit of Googling, but I'll be damned if I can find anything to help me reliably identify it. I've check a few pictures of other USA bodies and compared against pictures of Mexican ones... and it certainly looks more like the American ones. But it'd be good to have something a bit more solid.

The serial numbers in the body cavity are 0059404-667 and C00235837. I can't quite make out the date stamp in the neck pocket, but best guess is 25 June 2007. And the serial number stamped there looks like it matches the cavity sticker - 0059404.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Help identifying a strat body

Post by Molly »

I can't see anything in the pics that'd make me feel confident it was US made, sorry.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

That's a highway one body.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

NippleWrestler wrote:That's a highway one body.
Well, right country, if about the worst model... How can you tell?

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Age. Finish. Colour. Shape. They had very thin nitro finishes on them and came in that colour at a time when no other fender did.

The first generation were great guitars with all USA hardware. The second gen, post 2006, were more cheaply made and had Mexican hardware and 4 or 5 piece bodies. Still they were cool instruments. 12" radius, big frets, vintage headstock... Very nice playing instruments.

Jellybelly
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Jellybelly »

Yip Highway One. Around 2006 think it is a desert sand colour :D

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

NippleWrestler wrote:Age. Finish. Colour. Shape. They had very thin nitro finishes on them and came in that colour at a time when no other fender did.

The first generation were great guitars with all USA hardware. The second gen, post 2006, were more cheaply made and had Mexican hardware and 4 or 5 piece bodies. Still they were cool instruments. 12" radius, big frets, vintage headstock... Very nice playing instruments.
So nothing more definitive than the way it looks? I'm hoping to give a conclusive reply...

Thanks though! That is helpful.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Jellybelly wrote:Yip Highway One. Around 2006 think it is a desert sand colour :D
Oh yeah, right on about the colour. I was told it was honey blond, but I think you're right. Though they look pretty much identical to me... Desert sand might be more translucent?

Compare: Image

As opposed to:

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:Age. Finish. Colour. Shape. They had very thin nitro finishes on them and came in that colour at a time when no other fender did.

So nothing more definitive than the way it looks? I'm hoping to give a conclusive reply...

Hey you asked what it was, now you know.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Argh, but then this states that Desert Sand is always opaque (for teles at least)... :roll:
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tele-color ... y-1.77482/

Which this seems to confirm... https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/art ... olor-Chart

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

NippleWrestler wrote:
Darth Sabbathi wrote:

Hey you asked what it was, now you know.
Oh yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful! I was just hoping to be able to say, "well, as you can see by checking the serial number against this reference, it is most definitely a 2007 USA Highway 1". Or something to that effect. I do really appreciate your help.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Jellybelly wrote:Yip Highway One. Around 2006 think it is a desert sand colour :D
Totally spot on. I think this is my old one, which I bought in the USA, from a new guitar that was taken to pieces. They are nice and light, with a thin, nitro finish, which is what I was looking for.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Oh, but I think the colour is honey blond, at least that's how it was described to me. I think the sand colour has a tad more red.

If you google more images of a highway Strat body, you can include a link to others that look the same.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

While we're here, I believe hwy1 models were essentially Mexican models sneaked over the border and assembled in usa.
Like ehx stuff is largely made in china but assembled in NYC.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Jellybelly
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Jellybelly »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Oh, but I think the colour is honey blond, at least that's how it was described to me. I think the sand colour has a tad more red.

If you google more images of a highway Strat body, you can include a link to others that look the same.
I thought the same thing originally but I had a honey blonde one and it did look a little different than this one. Lighting, camera's who knows? Either way they are a cool body and the Highway One were a good guitar.
I still have a black one here and I would have it over any standard that I have had any day (just my preference). :D
There is colour code numbers for Fender on the interweb so you might be able to match up something on one of the tags inside the cavities.