A new guitar is like a Dog.

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: A new guitar is like a Dog.

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote: Naa. That doesn't concern me. I've had oldish guitars that sucked and newish that didn't. But if they start out great then I can only imagine what they'd be like a decade later (for obvious reasons).
For sure, nothing is absolute. I've never owned but had occasion to play around a dozen original Bursts over the years and only two of them were great guitars. Modern construction streamlining has eliminated much of the variability between instruments but it never will completely as not every single neck / body blank wil be blessed with the same quality of resonance etc. They will all however improve with playing.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Every now & than you get a good one, I've had some mutts but they are all characters and memory makes me cringe, smile or laugh.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Dharmajester wrote:
Molly wrote: Naa. That doesn't concern me. I've had oldish guitars that sucked and newish that didn't. But if they start out great then I can only imagine what they'd be like a decade later (for obvious reasons).
For sure, nothing is absolute. I've never owned but had occasion to play around a dozen original Bursts over the years and only two of them were great guitars. Modern construction streamlining has eliminated much of the variability between instruments but it never will completely as not every single neck / body blank wil be blessed with the same quality of resonance etc. They will all however improve with playing.
Yep, good and bad guitars in all marques and eras. Though my experience is limited to guitars from the 70's onwards. I know people rave about the squire JV range, and mine was awesome, bought new and loved it. Have consequently played 2 rather dead examples. And bought a rather crap tokai strat from the same period a few years back. Recent fernandes Tele was awesome, but vintage radius and frets aren't for me! Its gone.

I don't get the dog connection though? Maybe it should be Cat, as Cats are for life!

p.s. Molly's new guitars are may flies.....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:
Yep, good and bad guitars in all marques and eras. Though my experience is limited to guitars from the 70's onwards. I know people rave about the squire JV range, and mine was awesome, bought new and loved it. Have consequently played 2 rather dead examples. And bought a rather crap tokai strat from the same period a few years back. Recent fernandes Tele was awesome, but vintage radius and frets aren't for me! Its gone.

I don't get the dog connection though? Maybe it should be Cat, as Cats are for life!

p.s. Molly's new guitars are may flies.....
Probably but we're used to that by now. Diverts attention from all the other flipping.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Just warning any misguided soul who may be considering selling you a beloved pet.... :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:Just warning any misguided soul who may be considering selling you a beloved pet.... :P
Why would someone sell a beloved pet?

It'd be fine with me unless it was potentially delicious.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Bg wrote: I don't get the dog connection though? .
Dogs or at least the ones I've had the pleasure of owning ( big mofo's) tend to have a 10 year lifespan which is about the time it takes to break a brand new guitar in properly. Hence them both being a 10 year commitment.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

AiRdAd wrote:Disregarding the feel of the guitar (with playing a guitar making it feel more comfortable), and the changes to the electrics (with pot and cap values changing over time) - How does age and playing change the physical properties of the wood on an electric guitar to make it better?
So succinctly asked.

I agree with Slowy for acoustics as there is a lot of physical stuff going on to make sounds. But for solid body electrics?

The only thing I can think of is if the body's resonant peak somehow changes over time to become a better 'match' for the pickups.

Actually, I don;t know what I am talking about. Esoteric stuff all that. It probably is all in the mind of the player and or owner
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:
crowbgood1 wrote:Someone start a, show us your dog thread. I'm guessing there'd be a lot of poodles.
Codedog will win this by a mile :lol:
Not sure if I can still win it, but it's poodle-free zone around here!

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

My Les Paul is like my Staffy. Short , Black and plenty of bark.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
crowbgood1 wrote:Someone start a, show us your dog thread. I'm guessing there'd be a lot of poodles.
Was more for the sheer number of doggies :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:
codedog wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Was more for the sheer number of doggies :)
Not even sure about that ;) Someone else here is married to a vet or vet nurse too... they're probably up there in numbers too!

Back to the original topic, 10 years is a bit of a stretch in most breeds. In our breed, the Bernese Mountain Dogs, there's a Swiss adage that goes something like "... 3 years a young dog, 3 years a good dog, 3 years an old dog, and all else is a gift from God..." So yeah, you may need to pick longer living species...

Also agree, puppies are a lot of work and, if you're lucky, equal amounts of fun too. Some pups are a heck of a lot of work. In that sense guitars are the opposite. I imagine you don't really want to put in that much effort into a brand new guitar, right? I know a lot of people seem to have an itch to tear out stock components as soon as possible.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote: p.s. Molly's new guitars are may flies.....
I was just about to say don't they have freakishly short lifespan? ... then I remembered who we're talking about... :P

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Get down Shep!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I've had four guitars that were dogs. They all got put down fast.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.