All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY vintage52
From what I've read above and reading between the lines, his mind is not his own.

If I've read the lines wrong, I apologise.

If not, those that know him well enough to deal out some tough (very tough) love should be doing so.

Must be bloody awful for his family.

StrummersOfThunder wrote:I don't think anyone doubts his talent , and I have had many good dealings with him. Since my debacle with getting my amp built (not built) I did just that for the better part of a year. Gave the benefit of the doubt , never lost my rag, made lots of supportive gestures , visited at his home and even payednthe balance upfront as it looked like he was struggling. Lota of positive thoughts his way and never any pressure. In the end I didn't even demand anything , just some correspondence or an apology and I got nothing.

Its really sad to see a genuine act premeditated fraud with the pedal/pedal cable. That shows some mallace . Not just disinterest or lack of motivation through depression.

I too have always wanted well for the guy , and wish he hed just show some honesty and integrity to the community that not only held him in high esteem , but were loyal customers for many years.
Would like to see him back on track one day , but that will be hard if he burns all his bridges with what is in NZ , a small bunch of boutique audiophiles .
Last edited by vintage52 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BY TmcB
Does anyone actually know he's struggling with drugs / mentally ill?

It sounds like someone who is in a deep financial hole and is trying to trade his way out of it, selling peter to pay paul, which could have come from a bunch of his dealers options being poached *cough* Supro *cough*. Not condoning the actions we've read about here, just thinking it sounds like desperate business.

We're dragging him through the mud for more than his dubious choices in business based on conjecture so far.
BY HackSaw
TmcB wrote:Does anyone actually know he's struggling with drugs / mentally ill?

It sounds like someone who is in a deep financial hole and is trying to trade his way out of it, selling peter to pay paul, which could have come from a bunch of his dealers options being poached *cough* Supro *cough*. Not condoning the actions we've read about here, just thinking it sounds like desperate business.

We're dragging him through the mud for more than his dubious choices in business based on conjecture so far.

Yes, but he is either being an arse due to issues of some sort, or he is just straight up being an arse. I think the fact that most of us have dealt with a knowledgeable decent guy till recently, is leading to the conjecture that it is the former.
BY Delayman
This is a sad story for sure, but I think we're probably better sticking to our known experiences of him, rather than some of the guesses at why. Fair enough to warn others off a poor experience but I'm a bit uncomfortable with content that might be seen as defamatory. Not trying to control what others discuss, just suggestion.
BY Olderama
I still think his TM account should be reported and pulled
One less hassle in his life to worry about y,know
BY TmcB
[quote="HackSaw"]

Believe me, I'm not defending him for pulling some shifty shenanigans, and I would agree that it seems super out of character but...I dunno. I guess out of respect for my past dealings with him, I'm a bit reticent to go too hard on the he's an insane junkie angle.
BY HackSaw
TmcB wrote:
HackSaw wrote:
Believe me, I'm not defending him for pulling some shifty shenanigans, and I would agree that it seems super out of character but...I dunno. I guess out of respect for my past dealings with him, I'm a bit reticent to go too hard on the he's an insane junkie angle.

Not keen on that myself, just thinking more along the lines of it's hard to believe it since it is out of character to what many of us have experienced, so it's hard to believe unless something is up. It's a sad state of affairs no matter which way though.
BY WellyBlues
TmcB wrote:
HackSaw wrote:

I agree, don't know the guy at all, bought a pedal off him a long time ago, no issues. I think the thing that is really bothering people is the lack of communication or responses from him to trademe and his website enquiries. That doesn't speak of a struggling business but other issues, however the conjecture here is unfair.

Obviously there is a ton of goodwill around here and if Ryan was at least to respond or reach out to someone and explain then everyone would be a lot happier. I hope that happens. Or that someone can confirm at least what the real story is.
BY H671
Aside from all of the previous posts, he does have some legal obligations as a company director & if he is knowingly trading while insolvent, then he needs to be careful.
BY H671
Well,that certainly explains all.
If he is still selling through his ampshop website, then he will be open to other liabilities since the business that the web site purports to be does not now exist!
BY MrDINO
I remember when Ryan sent me a box load of pedals to try out and to send back the ones I didn't want. All done on trust until I found something I was happy with. I hope things come right for him as he's been a very accomodating guy to have around.
BY Capt. Black
BG, I haven't seen Ryan for years. Visited the shop a while before it closed and he most certainly was not 'himself'. Next thing you know the shop is shut and he's gone reclusive. None of the guys I know who know him have had any contact since way back either.

As a lot of us know, he was one of the best and nicest guys to know and deal with. Such a shame things turned to shit for him. I just don't know the details I'm afraid.
BY Bg
Ah wasn't sure, thought you might have a handle too him