New Angles

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1628 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Re: New Angles

Post by Jay »

I love that there's guys out there who keep asking themselves original questions then head out to the workshop to build the answer. :D
Indeed, if only one could get a fair return on time spent. But then again, hobbies are supposed to cost money, not generate it. Mind you, with over a 100 made, gotta be more than a hobby :)
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Slowy wrote:
Vince wrote:So what difference does it make to the sound?
Shape: None at all.
Eh? :wtf:

So why didn't people make square guitars from the word go? Square violins and cellos and violas and mandolins and whatever else acoustic, too?

When you add up the time spent on each individual instrument, it would have saved several collective centuries of fucking around getting that rounded shape.

Does it really make no diff? :shock:
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 588 times

Post by Starfire »

I'm guessing that it's not so much that shape makes no difference whatsoever and more that the shape of these is not significantly different from normal acoustics as to produce a markedly different sound.

I think the real question is: are they comfortable to play or a bit stabby?

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Vince wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Vince wrote:So what difference does it make to the sound?
Shape: None at all.
Eh? :wtf:

So why didn't people make square guitars from the word go? Square violins and cellos and violas and mandolins and whatever else acoustic, too?

When you add up the time spent on each individual instrument, it would have saved several collective centuries of fucking around getting that rounded shape.

Gretsch made the rectangular guitar for Bo Diddly.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote:
None that I noticed. Then again, Tony's guitars have their own character anyway. There are huge differences in the wood combinations, but the angular guitars didn't sound any different to his equivalent curved ones. There's plenty of comparisons to do too; so far, he's built well over 100 instruments.

Now if you could get a couple of Martin D28s, one angular, that would be interesting.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

twangnsnarl wrote:
I think the real question is: are they comfortable to play or a bit stabby?
Comfortable. Not stabby at all.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Slowy wrote: None that I noticed. Then again, Tony's guitars have their own character anyway.
i suppose the sound still bounces around inside the same ways as before. I guess it would be different if it was a completely square or rectangular guitar.

I'm wondering if you could make a rectangular acoustic but preserve the sound by keeping the interior the same as always.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

I really like the one on the left, and i dont like acoustics or their looks at all generally, so that's something.