Import own used guitars to NZ

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Stormrider
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Import own used guitars to NZ

Post by Stormrider »

Hello everybody,

at the moment I don't live in New Zealand, but I want to immigrate and already have some good jobs in sight (as programmer). Now, one thing that I try to find out now is how to bring my bass guitars to my now home then. I have at least two bass guitars which I can't live without. one of those was made in Germany extra for me and later modified again. I buyed it some years ago for about 1400 euros and later the modifications cost was about 200 euros again. And the other guitar I buyed used. So I don't even have an invoice.

When I'm importing them (bring it by myself or let it send as package with the help of some friends), how to declare duty? For the one bass guitar I don't even have an invoice so how can they calculate import fees?

If someone is here who can help me, please write :-)

Thank you

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Import own used guitars to NZ

Post by JustMatt »

You have a couple of options.
1) bring them with you on the plane, though the baggage fees are likely to be a killer.
2) send it with a personal effects declaration as below. This states that the items are your own personal items which have been in your possession for longer than 12 months so GST will ot apply.

Include the invoice that you do have as evidence as well as any other info you can provide.

If you send it by courier rather than post, you will find the customs agents at this end a little more proficient
http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/resourc ... 520218.doc

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Don't sweat it too much. I've brought through guitars, amps etc. contained within a household items. Nobody asked for individual receipts for anything.

Edit: You know about the present rosewood CITES stuff I take it?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

When you are an immigrant you are allowed to bring all your belongings into the country without any duty being imposed. I brought. a stuffed container with me in 1999. Contents all listed.
The only thing which drew attention was a didgeridoo which had to be inspected by MAF for termites. Amusing as the UK is not exactly notorious for termite presence.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:When you are an immigrant you are allowed to bring all your belongings into the country without any duty being imposed. I brought. a stuffed container with me in 1999. Contents all listed.
The only thing which drew attention was a didgeridoo which had to be inspected by MAF for termites. Amusing as the UK is not exactly notorious for termite presence.
Or didgeridoos!

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:When you are an immigrant you are allowed to bring all your belongings into the country without any duty being imposed. I brought. a stuffed container with me in 1999. Contents all listed.
Or didgeridoos!
Depends how often you attended Glastonbury :crazy:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Stormrider
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Stormrider »

Thank you so much for your replies :)

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I sent basically everything I owned from UK to NZ when I moved here in 2003 - guitars, a couple of amps, snowboards etc. Pretty sure I didn't pay anything from this end when it all arrived. You'll be fine I'm sure unless you have a museums worth of expensive stuff.

All the best for a smooth transition over here.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

On the topic of working as a programmer in NZ. Which city are you planning shifting to?
Ummm....