Best Auckland set up?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MakoGat
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: Best Auckland set up?

Post by MakoGat »

Being a poor husband, father, home and motorcycle owner LOL I cant afford set ups. I took my Les Paul to Glynn and I was very happy with the results. Now, my LP warrants having the money spent on it, my other guitars due to how much they cost dont, so I learned to do everything myself, even wiring, fret level and crowns. I like doing my own setups as I know what i want.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Took my Takamine P1NC to Mr Glyn for a setup as my office is near enough for it to be viable (since he doesn't open weekends).

Did a great job, the action was terribly high and even with 10s I was struggling to hold down a full barre chord without straining, now it plays like margarine. Pretty happy, will try and send an electric to him next.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: Best Auckland set up

Post by The Scarecrow »

Just got my PRS Holcomb back from Scott with a TUSQ nut added and setup - played great before, but even better now.

FYI, he is working a full time job now and may not have time for many jobs at present.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Capt. Black »

What Scarecrow said. I haven't had to call on Scott to do any work on my gear yet, but I've heard good things about his guitar setups. I can vouch for his great nature and stellar customer service at RS!

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Andries Vorster (The Fret Shop)? From what I've seen so far he does a pretty good job. Just don't take any explorers there (kidding). I will be going back for my next setup.

I've been to AZ and Glyn too. Both really good but more expensive.
Gene (G Spot guitars) did an amazing setup on a guitar I had when I was at uni - Had a lot of good comments from other students.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I took my guitars to Gene after Adrian closed shop. Great guy, did a great job and went the extra mile but just a bit too far to drive for me. Glyn is 5 minutes from my office now which works great
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

Best Auckland setup is 10 acres in Coatesville or Dairy Flat with a huge, insulated barn and clean power.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Bit of a dilemma I guess here, needing something done youve not done yourself before and not having the correct tools and materials to do it. Taking your pride and joy to a new luthier is nerve-wracking enough (that is when you can get hold of one), time out to drop it off and pick it up etc

Think im just gonna buy a bunch of bone nuts and the slotting files and learn myself.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Went down me local today to see if he had any caps - he gave me these massive ass ones for free, and a correct plastic nut was 2 bucks.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

JHorner wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 am Anyone had any work done by Trevor Binford? Seems legit.
http://www.binfordluthiery.com
Bumping this 4-year-old post. Any answers? I remember reading this post at the time and sending a message to Mr. Binford but not getting a reply. (Onehunga being an easy location for me.) My question would have been, "How much for a set up for guitar with Floyd and fret buzz" or somesuch. Have the same question now.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

dropped you a message.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

Trevor at Binford is great. Had 3 setups and a new nut done there. Very nice guy.

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

HappyEnding wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:34 pm
JHorner wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 am Anyone had any work done by Trevor Binford? Seems legit.
http://www.binfordluthiery.com
Bumping this 4-year-old post. Any answers? I remember reading this post at the time and sending a message to Mr. Binford but not getting a reply. (Onehunga being an easy location for me.) My question would have been, "How much for a set up for guitar with Floyd and fret buzz" or somesuch. Have the same question now.
His setup was about 130, new nut around 80, fret dress 300

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Dano_NZ »

Agree with the Trevor Binford recommendation, reset my SJ-200, great to deal with and did a great job.

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

Cool thanks for replies.