Sweet sigs!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2462 times

Re: Sweet sigs!

Post by Slowy »

HappyEnding wrote:
Follow up question: if you had a signature guitar of someone you really liked, but then they made a shit record (or did something vile) would you then wish to be rid of the guitar (regardless of how good it is)?
Speaking personally, no. Wouldn't occur to me. But then, I'm unlikely to buy a guitar just for the signature. If I lost my Strat for instance, I'd immediately buy an Eric Johnson but that's because it is my guitar with the addition of a couple of cool modern tweaks.

On second thoughts, if I had a Rolf Harris sig......... :think: :evil:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

HappyEnding wrote: Follow up question: if you had a signature guitar of someone you really liked, but then they made a shit record (or did something vile) would you then wish to be rid of the guitar (regardless of how good it is)?
Yep, like if I had a Kirk Hammett ESP after they released the black record :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Definitely. We all show off our gear, it doesn't live in a vacuum and if you have anyone's signature anything you effectively endorse them. Even if you don't.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I have a Jackson Adrian Smith that I play through an EVH 5153. I also use an EVH Phase 90, a Zakk Wylde Wah. I've also got a Flying V signed by Deep Purple with Doug Aldrich pickups in it. I found the pickups in my LP, picks I use and string gauge I use by researching what my heros use...
By far and wide though, I use all their licks in my own songs by way of playing their songs for so many years.
I'm a big fat phoney. :lol:

But I wouldn't play anything that screamed look at me I'm playing this person's guitar (Metallica for example?). The Adrian Smith just looks like a superstrat to those not in the know.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Ive had many sig guitars and they all have that something that gives you a bit of a connection to the player its supporting(whether they actually play that model or not at least they have had some input into the design)
I love em
:mental:

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

To take it back to the top, I'm developing feelings for that Billy Corgan Rev...

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

jeremyb wrote:
HappyEnding wrote: Follow up question: if you had a signature guitar of someone you really liked, but then they made a shit record (or did something vile) would you then wish to be rid of the guitar (regardless of how good it is)?
Yep, like if I had a Kirk Hammett ESP after they released the black record :lol:
LOL. I was actually thinking of Kirk when I typed that.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 801 times

Post by hamo »

I have a Jack Sparrow signature guitar...
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

hamo wrote:I have a Jack Sparrow signature guitar...
Yeah isn't that keefs son tho
Worth loads mate :)
:mental:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 801 times

Post by hamo »

Olderama wrote:
hamo wrote:I have a Jack Sparrow signature guitar...
Yeah isn't that keefs son tho
Worth loads mate :)
Heh, never thought of that. :clap:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

Slowy wrote:
HappyEnding wrote:
Follow up question: if you had a signature guitar of someone you really liked, but then they made a shit record (or did something vile) would you then wish to be rid of the guitar (regardless of how good it is)?
Speaking personally, no. Wouldn't occur to me. But then, I'm unlikely to buy a guitar just for the signature. If I lost my Strat for instance, I'd immediately buy an Eric Johnson but that's because it is my guitar with the addition of a couple of cool modern tweaks.

On second thoughts, if I had a Rolf Harris sig......... :think: :evil:
I cringe when Rolf comes on my toddler's Wiggles DVD. Appears on. Poor choice of word there. But we've kept that because the Wiggles are pretty much awesome.

Mr Davison
Squier
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Mr Davison »

Glad the wiggles could overcome Rolf Harris :oh:

But as far as signature gear goes I will be playing my Ibanez PGM301(Paul Gilbert model) at a gig tomorrow night because it plays superbly, has great tone & is perfectly balanced, remaining comfortable right thru the longest of sets :thumbup:
Sonic mayhem unleashed

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

Mr Davison wrote:Glad the wiggles could overcome Rolf Harris :oh:

But as far as signature gear goes I will be playing my Ibanez PGM301(Paul Gilbert model) at a gig tomorrow night because it plays superbly, has great tone & is perfectly balanced, remaining comfortable right thru the longest of sets :thumbup:
Ibanez make so many whacky guitars, I suppose not many people look at that and think Paul all the time, as cool as it is.

I find the signature SE's and ESP's much more distinctive. It's hard to watch someone playing a JH Iron Cross in a metal band and think "wow he must be a real Metallica fan.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Mr Davison wrote:Glad the wiggles could overcome Rolf Harris :oh:

Exactly why I play a JS; extremely comfortable, toneful and the neck pretty much plays itself :thumbup:
Loving it so far

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Sigs are are not something I am fond of, but all cool to me if the player who is endorsed actually records and gigs with it. Slash model epi? When did he ever use one of them? EVH? Changed his brands more than his undies. Peavey, Musciman, Fender/EVH. But he did use them. The Les Paul is more than a signature guitar, which I have seen people call it. It is the Les Paul model. A unique new design on release. Wolfgang gats are like that too. But a Gary Moore epi or Clapton strat fv<k all different from the original. Marketing for the most part. Prefer to buy regular models and make them my own if they need mods.