Baritone Guitars - who's playing them?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Baritone Guitars - who's playing them?

Post by KentNZ »

Who out there in NZ Guitars has/plays a baritone?

I really liked the sound of the PRS P90 Semi-hollow one when Anderton's reviewed it... and I see Taylor at some point did a 300 and 700 series Baritone with some nice looking woods on it (a P&W Singer Jonathan Helser used one in a recent video, and I thought, hey, that looks like a Baritone, and a Taylor... and I'm Googling to see more about that... )

But also, thought I would ask on here... as I haven't been around ina while, thought I would post something. :thumbup:

And feel free to post links to good YT vids too - am just wanting to explore what it might mean musically.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: Baritone Guitars - who's playing them?

Post by Kris »

Dabbled a fair bit-although im not sure if our styles are close enough for my 2c being of any use to you!!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

There is (unless it just closed) a Taylor baritone for sale on TM. Mighty spendy though.

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

olegmcnoleg wrote:There is (unless it just closed) a Taylor baritone for sale on TM. Mighty spendy though.
It is quite spendy for a used one - but the 8 is a very specific beast. I'd be after the 6, and pref mahogany.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

And I imagine it's not this model either.

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/taylor-3 ... y-b-s.html

weltall89
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by weltall89 »

I do, really enjoy my baritone, use it all the time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Have tuned a fender scale 6 string down to B and drop A before, a baritone certainly makes those tunings easier to stay in tune... have you got any music in B you want to play?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Walden made a nice baritone acoustic, I've played one of those a number of times. Very nice, but you need to man up to play finger style. Worth it though. Keen to hear if you get one.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

played a PRS 277 at the RS just now-really nice and comfy.Would def consider over other offerings on the market at present

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I really like my baritone as the frets are where I expect them, as a bass player.

I have a Danelectro Hodad and I changed out the pickups for Seymour Duncans. Beautiful sound, especially the open D (open G chord on a normal guit). I could play that chord all day.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

jeremyb wrote:Have tuned a fender scale 6 string down to B and drop A before, a baritone certainly makes those tunings easier to stay in tune... have you got any music in B you want to play?
I'm in A more than I'm in B, but I often wonder what it might be like to experiment playing alongside another instrument; do you transpose everything so you're playing effectively a 4th higher, or, do you play the same shapes and go with a 5th down harmony?

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

Kris wrote:played a PRS 277 at the RS just now-really nice and comfy.Would def consider over other offerings on the market at present
Really like the look of those with the Soap bars in 'em...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

KentNZ wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Have tuned a fender scale 6 string down to B and drop A before, a baritone certainly makes those tunings easier to stay in tune... have you got any music in B you want to play?
I'm in A more than I'm in B, but I often wonder what it might be like to experiment playing alongside another instrument; do you transpose everything so you're playing effectively a 4th higher, or, do you play the same shapes and go with a 5th down harmony?
Have you thought about getting a tenor guitar? They are tuned to A usually. Give you some great textures, and not as tricky to finger as a mandolin.
'