Show us your Lesters!!!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Show us your Lesters!!!

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:Nice little mix of gats here.

I've a LP question for you, Grant. On some there's a gap between the pickguard and the cut-away and on others there isn't. So, the '54 in the above pic doesn't have the gap whilst the following one does.

What's different about the construction? Does it signify any particular tenon or some such? Any particular year? Is it just the pickguard itself?

Ta.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

GrantB wrote:Trump Chips
Depreciating in value rapidly then.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Conway wrote:
Utterly worthless and probably made of plastic.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote: I've a LP question for you, Grant. On some there's a gap between the pickguard and the cut-away and on others there isn't. So, the '54 in the above pic doesn't have the gap whilst the following one does.

What's different about the construction? Does it signify any particular tenon or some such? Any particular year? Is it just the pickguard itself?

Ta.
Pickup spacing, guard screw location and guard outer profile varies over the years. Nowadays of course the smaller they can make them the happier the bean counters are.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Molly wrote:
Conway wrote:
Utterly worthless and probably made of plastic.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Dharmajester wrote: Pickup spacing, guard screw location and guard outer profile varies over the years. Nowadays of course the smaller they can make them the happier the bean counters are.
Tone is in the pickguard spacing!!

My R7 wrap tail has that weird gap due to the bridge pup being wayyy back...did your Oxblood?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

GrantB wrote:Nice little mix of gats here.

OMG! THAT TELE CUSTOM! THAT JAG!

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote:
Dharmajester wrote: Pickup spacing, guard screw location and guard outer profile varies over the years. Nowadays of course the smaller they can make them the happier the bean counters are.
Tone is in the pickguard spacing!!

My R7 wrap tail has that weird gap due to the bridge pup being wayyy back...did your Oxblood?
Yep. That plus the zingy tone component of the wraptail is what makes em edgy sounding ( personal theory)
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

faceless
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by faceless »

Dharmajester wrote:
Molly wrote: I've a LP question for you, Grant. On some there's a gap between the pickguard and the cut-away and on others there isn't. So, the '54 in the above pic doesn't have the gap whilst the following one does.

Ta.
Pickup spacing, guard screw location and guard outer profile varies over the years. Nowadays of course the smaller they can make them the happier the bean counters are.
True.

Changes over the years have led to different inconsistencies. It's a Gibson's excuse to release new historic model every year with some 50's correctness, I say its their futile attempt to replicate the original bursts. Like Aniline dye introduced in 2013.

When I bought my 2011 R9, it was advertised as 2001 and before Gibson customer service even replied to my query, the chaps of mylp forum pointed how the tuners were aligned for older historics and how they changed to form an angled shape on 2005 to recent. Imagine my surprise to find I got a 2011.

Same with the trussrod covers the earlier ones are closer to the nut while the newer models have gap. And they used Corian nut until 2013 prior to Nylon. Like paying $$$ for a plastic nut is crazy.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

[quote/]True.

Changes over the years have led to different inconsistencies. It's a Gibson's excuse to release new historic model every year with some 50's correctness, I say its their futile attempt to replicate the original bursts. Like Aniline dye introduced in 2013.

When I bought my 2011 R9, it was advertised as 2001 and before Gibson customer service even replied to my query, the chaps of mylp forum pointed how the tuners were aligned for older historics and how they changed to form an angled shape on 2005 to recent. Imagine my surprise to find I got a 2011.

Same with the trussrod covers the earlier ones are closer to the nut while the newer models have gap. And they used Corian nut until 2013 prior to Nylon. Like paying $$$ for a plastic nut is crazy.[/quote]

Faceless,

I'd love to lay my hands on a 58 or 59 RI, preferably not in a dark burst. I have an immaculate 1998 60 RI which has a huge top. Would you be interested in discussing a possible trade in some form? If not, could you please share your source of such nice guitars, as I will be in the States in December and February. Cheers, Andrew.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

doppleganger
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by doppleganger »

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

doppleganger wrote:Image
Let me guess....circa 2000 classic? Edit....maybe 2002?

very nice!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yay for Lesez.

doppleganger
Stagg
Stagg

Post by doppleganger »

GrantB wrote:
doppleganger wrote:Image
Let me guess....circa 2000 classic? Edit....maybe 2002?

very nice!
1996 Classic Premium Plus mate.

doppleganger
Stagg
Stagg

Post by doppleganger »

GrantB wrote:Yay for Lesez.

Stunning burst, R9 I reckon?