And so it continues.....

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Re: And so it continues.....

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote:Speaking of Aria... http://www.trademe.co.nz/1205541358
My God!!!!! Nothing 36 years old should be that shiny!

Have to admit, this doesn't feel bad..
http://www.xyzguitars.com/Aria-Pro-II-T ... /tatab.htm
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote:I'm sorry Slowy, you didn't give us enough time to stage an intervention!
No 'Gs' in it anywhere
But you'd hate it anyway.
As for the intervention, you turned up late. Everyone else helped me avoid walking away from the ...what? 10th prospective purchase?
Even I was getting bored. :lol:
Now go to codedog's thread and tell everyone how you managed to stop yourself from playing for quite a long time. :P
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Notwithstanding the clown hurst, this is kinda cool. Gibson headstock. Lawsuit?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

GrantB wrote:

Notwithstanding the clown hurst, this is kinda cool. Gibson headstock. Lawsuit?
chuck a headstock overlay on that baby and instant Gibson Les Paul $$$$
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Spent 3 hours with the....erm, Aria tonight getting a feel for it. I'm definitely a 335 size guy, it's so much more comfortable than a 339 or Les Paul. Getting used to humbuckers is a definite process. I found the tones I liked best from subtle tweaks of the volume knobs.

Not in a hurry but I suspect the pickups aren't long for this guitar. They're powerful, but seem to lack much in the way of character. This thing is going to spend its time doing single notes or double stops plucked with bare fingers and I'm hoping for a more vocal quality than is currently present.

If that makes sense and you have a pup suggestion, I'm all ears. :D

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy wrote:Spent 3 hours with the....erm, Aria tonight getting a feel for it. I'm definitely a 335 size guy, it's so much more comfortable than a 339 or Les Paul. Getting used to humbuckers is a definite process. I found the tones I liked best from subtle tweaks of the volume knobs.

Not in a hurry but I suspect the pickups aren't long for this guitar. They're powerful, but seem to lack much in the way of character. This thing is going to spend its time doing single notes or double stops plucked with bare fingers and I'm hoping for a more vocal quality than is currently present.

EMG's!!!

others will know WAY more than me.

My Les Paul Goldtop (that you liked) has classic 57's in it. They are paf style pickups, but had a bit of extra sparkle when playing clean (my bad term for how I'd describe the sound) - and a thicker sound with distortion - compared to a bare knuckle mule (which is more of a traditional paf sound.)

I'd maybe start with something like a paf style, or even a slightly hotter paf style.

One thing... it might be a pain swapping pickups in your hollowbody. I didn't have the patience to do it in my 335.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Check out the Seymour Duncan whole lotta humbucker and Seth lovers, amazing sounding pickups for hollow and solid bodies alike.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote:Spent 3 hours with the....erm, Aria tonight getting a feel for it. I'm definitely a 335 size guy, it's so much more comfortable than a 339 or Les Paul. Getting used to humbuckers is a definite process. I found the tones I liked best from subtle tweaks of the volume knobs.

Humbucker sized P90's, all the grunt of buckers with no mud :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

jeremyb wrote:

I've got a bare knuckle Mississippi queen humbucker sized p90 that you can try. It's for the neck position.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

AiRdAd wrote:
jeremyb wrote:

I've got a bare knuckle Mississippi queen humbucker sized p90 that you can try. It's for the neck position.
I have DImarzio 36 annis and Humbucker from hell you can try. Annis are gold though and HfH is coverless. The latter is for the neck only and is IMO superb.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 597 times

Post by Starfire »

:wave:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Always liked the 57 classics. Ideally get something splittable. Don't go p90, you'd just lose the reason you bought the aria. Plenty of non muddy pups out there, I'm still liking the stock epi alnico pros haha
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

Polar Bear wrote:Check out the Seymour Duncan whole lotta humbucker and Seth lovers, amazing sounding pickups for hollow and solid bodies alike.
My 335 has 57 classics - nice.
My Greg Bennett RL4 Ltd has Duncan designed humbuckers - not as growly as the 57's but very clear.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote:Always liked the 57 classics. Ideally get something splittable. Don't go p90, you'd just lose the reason you bought the aria. Plenty of non muddy pups out there, I'm still liking the stock epi alnico pros haha
I love my 57 classics, and they're wired up with parallel option, pseudo single coil sound. I have to admit the coil tap on the SD Whole Lotta are much nicer so you have to weigh up your choices I guess.
Last edited by codedog on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Slowy wrote:Not in a hurry but I suspect the pickups aren't long for this guitar. They're powerful, but seem to lack much in the way of character. This thing is going to spend its time doing single notes or double stops plucked with bare fingers and I'm hoping for a more vocal quality than is currently present.

Something single coil like a Fender Strat. :moresarc:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz