Refinishing Poly?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: Refinishing Poly?

Post by Slowy »

telefiend wrote:The damage looks cool though!
Honest wear looks cool. This looks like a wife beater.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Putting it that way makes it less cool

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

telefiend wrote:Putting it that way makes it less cool
Some say I have a way with words.
Some wish I didn't.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

To be fair and somewhat realistic. People do buy these Ibanez, Tokai, Burny and Greco LPs so that they can do to them as they would not dare do to a real LP that cost all that money.
I think that this kind of guitar should still be thought of as a cheaper/affordable alternative and as such, USED in a way that you would be afraid to use a fancy pants guitar.

If a guitar has a bit of 'treatment' but it is still sound, solid and mostly original, then buy it and keep it as a thrasher. I agree that $1800 is steep for one in this condition but I reckon $800 (if you can get it for that) is good buying for how GOOD a gat these PF Ibanezs's's's are. If it were in REALLY NICE nick, I reckon $1800 would be more than fair.

The twist is that some of these guitars (like mine which Slowy has been fondling for the last few weeks) are actually far more rare here than a real LP and consequently, virtually irreplaceable! Not in dollar value obviously. But in rarity.
I often reckon that if I were gigging regularly, I'd have bought an LP as a thrasher because I could not stand it if I lost the real Capt. Black.

I like the look of that PF400 Slowy. You know that under the skin it is a really well made beast. I say, just buy it and don't sweat the preciousness. Sand it back and leave it unfinished. That would be cool! :)

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Well said Cappie...

About rarity:
Interestingly, this is the 3rd PF400 that has been on TM this year. The first one was okayish, the second one a total disaster, stripped and all parts separated into a heap, and now this one.

In the last 3 years there has only been 1 PF300 on TM, which was scored by yours truly.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

jvpp wrote:Well said Cappie...

About rarity:
Interestingly, this is the 3rd PF400 that has been on TM this year. The first one was okayish, the second one a total disaster, stripped and all parts separated into a heap, and now this one.

In the last 3 years there has only been 1 PF300 on TM, which was scored by yours truly.
Which of those was Strummers' one?

He sold his via $1 reserve and it went in the region of $700 - $800 from memory. It was mint.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

bender wrote:

About rarity:

He sold his via $1 reserve and it went in the region of $700 - $800 from memory. It was mint.
First one - obviously your definition of mint differs from mine. :D Yes, the poly finish did not look half as bad as the current one. Pickguard and speed know were missing, gold hardware tarnished... I think you are right that it went for under $800. Anthony really got it for a steal!

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

jvpp wrote:
bender wrote:

About rarity:

First one - obviously your definition of mint differs from mine. :D Yes, the poly finish did not look half as bad as the current one. Pickguard and speed know were missing, gold hardware tarnished... I think you are right that it went for under $800. Anthony really got it for a steal!
Hmmm I don't remember it missing a knob? I really meant that the body was in really good nick.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

agree, wasn't used to beat up someone's wife

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

jvpp wrote:agree, wasn't used to beat up someone's wife
I hope this doesn't turn into a thing..

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

sweet bb jeezus you can get a real one for that price! no offense.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

It was a dreadful guitar. Weighed about the same as an eastern block apartment building and looked only slightly better.
The gold hardware looked like it was made from punched out pimps fillings and the pickups sounded like coin purses filled with marmite.
The headstock was the size of a boogie board too.
I payed $350 or so for it and sold it for about $800 from memory.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Good luck, Jean. Lovely condition but too rich for my blood.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:It was a dreadful guitar. Weighed about the same as an eastern block apartment building and looked only slightly better.
The gold hardware looked like it was made from punched out pimps fillings and the pickups sounded like coin purses filled with marmite.
The headstock was the size of a boogie board too.
I payed $350 or so for it and sold it for about $800 from memory.
So you didn't like it then?