All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY mrmofo
they need to drop that Life-Style-Brand crap.

we've been sucked in by the best sales people around, profit over every other factor is BS, cheapen the brand by selling stuff made cheap overseas then ramp up the price of the home built stuff.
companies are basically selling cheap stuff with their name on it.
BY godgrinder
Miza wrote:I've actually thought for a long time that's exactly what Gibson should be doing. Just keep making reissues of all their classics.

It's kinda what Fender are doing...

Leave innovation to the PRS's of this world :lol:

Fender do lots of weird shit as well but they make these in Mexico or China and they're cheap. When Gibson do a weird model it's usually a megabucks custom shop jobbie which just adds to the ridiculousness...
BY Slowy
Gibson should be allowed to die. That way, all the crap they've made would be worth something and the people lucky enough to have their good stuff would feel like Aucklanders who bought a couple of houses 10 years ago.

Getting my coat.
BY Slowy
godgrinder wrote:
Miza wrote:I've actually thought for a long time that's exactly what Gibson should be doing. Just keep making reissues of all their classics.

Fender do lots of weird shit as well but they make these in Mexico or China and they're cheap. When Gibson do a weird model it's usually a megabucks custom shop jobbie which just adds to the ridiculousness...

Fender are also in trouble.
BY godgrinder
werdna wrote:Marshall should buy Gibson.

Marshall would've done a great job running Gibson's lifestyle department hahaha.
BY GrantB
So Henry has to go...that seems to be where the deals are at.
BY Terexgeek
Miza wrote:
werdna wrote:Imagine Gibson under JB. Next year's Gibson model range: only historic '58s, '59s and '60s. Just what the doctor ordered.

I've actually thought for a long time that's exactly what Gibson should be doing. Just keep making reissues of all their classics.

I nearly agree, they need to be more like both Fender and PRS: listen to their customers. Solicit buyers and potential buyers opinions, leave the radical "inventions" to signature models. Look after your signature artists, they are the lifeblood of the brand (*cough* Les Paul anyone?), look after them, listen to them.

Respect your brands: Epiphone was a quality brand, but got ground down by the arrogance of Gibson's treating it as it's budget bulk product range to the point folks will go to huge lengths to eliminate it's headstock shape. Epiphone had high end products, keep up the development of the brand.

Fender has done wonders with Charvel and Gretsch, neither has been a "junk" brand.

PRS doesn't need a "budget" brand. They've made a point of respecting the broke, broken arsed income that professional musicians make and have covered budget and premium ends. The quality and pricing of the budget product garners respect for the brand and the quality and innovation of the premium end instruments fires the desirability of the brand.

Lastly, they need to remember they are in a shrinking industry, electronic music will dominate for the foreseeable future, yes we are bound to see a renaissance of guitar at some point, but ultimately music will be able to be most cheaply produced on a laptop and soon phone so be prepared for it.
Prepare how? You still see violins and cellos being sold at a profit, get ready for that phase of the business. How easy and cheap is it for someone to use your guitar into a phone? Best be the easiest and not the most expensive to enable/own that connection/platform on Android and Apple.

Listen to the customers!!!
BY godgrinder
Terexgeek wrote:How easy and cheap is it for someone to use your guitar into a phone? Best be the easiest and not the most expensive to enable/own that connection/platform on Android and Apple.

iRig is US$40. It'd probably be more expensive to build that into the guitar because they'll have to drill extra holes.
BY godgrinder
Although guitarists like to think that the reason Gibson is going under has to do with some of the wack guitars they release, it seems like it's mostly due to them borrowing money to buy 3rd-rate consumer electronic brands.

"I really want a TEAC sound system." Said no one ever.
BY Clanger
Slowy wrote:Gibson should be allowed to die. That way, all the crap they've made would be worth something and the people lucky enough to have their good stuff would feel like Aucklanders who bought a couple of houses 10 years ago.

Getting my coat.

I only bought 3. Still too tight-ass to buy Gibson/Fender CS stuff.
Reality is they’re going nowhere (the musical instrument brand that is). The absolute worst case scenario would be the receivers sell the unit off to Fender, or some other interested party which would be back running Gibson Musical Instruments inside a week.
BY el byrdo
godgrinder wrote:Although guitarists like to think that the reason Gibson is going under has to do with some of the wack guitars they release, it seems like it's mostly due to them borrowing money to buy 3rd-rate consumer electronic brands.

"I really want a TEAC sound system." Said no one ever.

I'd take an 80s TEAC amp!
BY Slowy
Terexgeek wrote:
PRS doesn't need a "budget" brand. They've made a point of respecting the broke, broken arsed income that professional musicians make and have covered budget and premium ends. The quality and pricing of the budget product garners respect for the brand and the quality and innovation of the premium end instruments fires the desirability of the brand

Well put; good insight.
I have 2 SE models and respect for the PRS brand is exactly the effect they have on me. They are great instruments in their own right while still allowing the real ones to take you to another level entirely.
BY Bg
can't deny that my se santana is a worthy substitute for my LP. I keep yearning for a fixed bridge and no upper fret access though :(

Nah I just want something to satisfy my inner greeny