All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Clanger
Molly wrote:
Clanger wrote:How 'bout a thread dedicated to the awesomeness of Gibson?
There are more jawdroppers than shockers.

Those new CME exclusive 57 RI's and 355's. Mmmmm.

Yeah, they might look nice but it's all in the detail. Pisser when you have to hand your $7k Gibson to the local luthier to have it properly finished off.

Yeah, true - but you could also be pragmatic and compare to someone getting a new car, and instantly driving it to a shop to get it modified to taste; change of wheels, lowered, remapped and tuned up to go harder. Probably not the best analogy, and you shouldn't have to do it, but a few tweaks here and there after already dropping 7 on it, is neither here or there IMO.
BY Terexgeek
Clanger wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
Clanger wrote:How 'bout a thread dedicated to the awesomeness of Gibson?
There are more jawdroppers than shockers.

Those new CME exclusive 57 RI's and 355's. Mmmmm.

I don't see anyone stopping you?

I don't think it would rate. Why? Because people like to piss and moan and throw stones. Like when a certain rugby team in this country wins, the phone lines are quite quiet, but when they lose it's nonstop bleating for days. That's just how it is.

I'll dispute that, the team can win and people can bleat for days that they didn't win well enough!
BY telefiend
Terexgeek wrote:
Clanger wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:I don't see anyone stopping you?

I don't think it would rate. Why? Because people like to piss and moan and throw stones. Like when a certain rugby team in this country wins, the phone lines are quite quiet, but when they lose it's nonstop bleating for days. That's just how it is.

I'll dispute that, the team can win and people can bleat for days that they didn't win well enough!

Whinging about people whinging is next level stuff.
BY Terexgeek
telefiend wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
Clanger wrote:

What about whinging about people whinging about people whinging?
BY telefiend
Terexgeek wrote:
telefiend wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:I'll dispute that, the team can win and people can bleat for days that they didn't win well enough!

What about whinging about people whinging about people whinging?

I think it means I've achieved internet.
BY willow13
Olderama wrote:Bloody whinging kiwis eh :rofl:

it's because of colonization ... you bloody poms came over here with your whinging so of course it was going to take off here :rofl:
BY godgrinder
werdna wrote:If Chinese interests buy Gibson, expect to see a lot more guitars with g headstock. Devalue prices 2nd hand of mine?

Unlikely - Chinese are a lot more interested in the CS/Reissue models than the regular ones nowadays. I've seen plenty deeming R9's not being high end enough and moving onto CC/True Historic/Murphy aged etc.
BY GrantB
Agreed - Chinese move would be a challenge on many fronts...
BY Molly
godgrinder wrote:
Unlikely - Chinese are a lot more interested in the CS/Reissue models than the regular ones nowadays. I've seen plenty deeming R9's not being high end enough and moving onto CC/True Historic/Murphy aged etc.

Was watching that Mike Campbell gear run-down thing on YouTube. He gets out his '59 LP and tells us it cost more than his house. He goes on to say that '58s were good and so were the '60s, but the '59 is the one, the best one.... FFS. I figured this is the ultimate in cork sniffing. To state that at this highest level there's still a best version and that the others are inferior? Bollocks.

For the record, his '59 was nothing to look at.
BY Terexgeek
Hmm, Yamaha buying is not the dream scenario for New Zealand Gibson fans anyway. Don't get me wrong, I suspect I own more Yamahas than anyone here, I love their attention to detail and build quality (traditionally anyway). But, and it's a big but (hur, hur, big butt) they are a very conservative manufacturer with a very distant corporate structure. They will be very indifferent to microscopic markets like New Zealand, the whole range will be be pruned so only profitable lines are left and expect quality to improve, but Japanese manufacturing may become a part of the mix as part of the improvement. The distributors may find the relationship changed with the brand, Yamaha will be leveraging the whole range and expect different product lines to be purchased and minimum quantities. Don't expect artist relations to improve, unless they are huge and want essentially an existing guitar from the range with their name on the headstock. Expect little to no innovation, great you say, no Firebird X, yes but no chance of Gibson moving toward being a PRS, with lots of focus on guitarists or Fender, trying to have fun with the product lines. What could be great? Continued existence, but I don't think that is a real benefit, the brand is too valuable. My preferred buyer? PRS, but it's too small. Or maybe Fender, they are very respectful of brands and fans, but it might make them too bloated...