All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY mrmofo
#776672
have we talked about the $2 shop auto tuners yet
User avatar
BY Terexgeek
#776675
sty wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:It also doesn't explain the Firebird X, the styling, the pricing, the launch.


Interestingly I think if Gibson had an established retail channel the Firebird X might find it's audience, it's out there somewhere, but you can't just Press Release it and throw it into the standard retail channel, it'll get crucified just like it did.


I think it was way too expensive for the market it was targeted at, it was aiming at the modelling amp market and need to be priced as such. If it looked like a Les Paul Jr and was priced 10% lower than the Line 6 guitar range, it would have gone well. Throw in a popular metal artist endorsement making sure they obviously use it and it would have been a slam dunk.
User avatar
BY werdna
#776693
Sty, you nailed it. This approach of a dedicated Gibson shop with their best models on display with trial booths and talented staff, is about the only way any business could get me to part with my money and buy a new guitar.

When I went to the Guitar Centre, I nearly had this experience. I felt my stomach go queasy and then I wanted to hand over my credit card to someone. But no one bothered to come up to me, and the feeling passed, and I quickly ran out.
BY kwhelan
#776728
all those other brands have a far larger market base, perfumes, clothes watches etc work in a specialty store, you would need an awful lot of guitar players to make money in a pure gibson shop
Like the idea totally but not sure its viable.
Lot of his comments were spot on though, I totally get why there's always a sign with all the tyre kickers around ,do not touch,but it isn't exactly inspiring you in local shops
User avatar
BY Polar Bear
#776747
kwhelan wrote:all those other brands have a far larger market base, perfumes, clothes watches etc work in a specialty store, you would need an awful lot of guitar players to make money in a pure gibson shop
Like the idea totally but not sure its viable.
Lot of his comments were spot on though, I totally get why there's always a sign with all the tyre kickers around ,do not touch,but it isn't exactly inspiring you in local shops


sty wrote:
...

Again I think it's a wonderful idea, but I can only see it working initially in the biggest of cities to get started (New York, LA, Las Vegas, Chicago, Paris, London, etc.).



There's more than enough guitarists in those centres for it to be a viable option.
#777082
Molly wrote:If they'd given me an endorsement like I asked them to, they wouldn't be in this mess....

I can imagine Gibson spending years building Molly a signature guitar only to find it on TradeMe a few weeks later :-)
User avatar
BY Molly
#777089
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:If they'd given me an endorsement like I asked them to, they wouldn't be in this mess....

I can imagine Gibson spending years building Molly a signature guitar only to find it on TradeMe a few weeks later :-)


It's USP would be that it could fold into a very small parcel.
User avatar
BY AiRdAd
#777091
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:If they'd given me an endorsement like I asked them to, they wouldn't be in this mess....

I can imagine Gibson spending years building Molly a signature guitar only to find it on TradeMe a few weeks later :-)


Massive LOL to that - very witty!!!! Sorry Brian :-)
User avatar
BY Terexgeek
#777158
Clanger wrote:How 'bout a thread dedicated to the awesomeness of Gibson?
There are more jawdroppers than shockers.

Those new CME exclusive 57 RI's and 355's. Mmmmm.

I don't see anyone stopping you?
User avatar
BY Molly
#777173
Clanger wrote:How 'bout a thread dedicated to the awesomeness of Gibson?
There are more jawdroppers than shockers.

Those new CME exclusive 57 RI's and 355's. Mmmmm.


Yeah, they might look nice but it's all in the detail. Pisser when you have to hand your $7k Gibson to the local luthier to have it properly finished off.
User avatar
BY Clanger
#777188
Terexgeek wrote:
Clanger wrote:How 'bout a thread dedicated to the awesomeness of Gibson?
There are more jawdroppers than shockers.

Those new CME exclusive 57 RI's and 355's. Mmmmm.

I don't see anyone stopping you?


I don't think it would rate. Why? Because people like to piss and moan and throw stones. Like when a certain rugby team in this country wins, the phone lines are quite quiet, but when they lose it's nonstop bleating for days. That's just how it is.
  • 1
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 28