Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Danger Mouse »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
jeremyb wrote:http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... tudio.aspx

BG's dream guitar, a tele with a fat arse and a floyd :thumbup:
That's cool...finally not a stupid idea. I can see this one selling well.
Except that, judging by the comments, this guitar is a few years old, not made anymore and it didn't sell when it was.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Vince wrote:
jeremyb wrote:An LP is basically tele shaped if you think about it...
Nah, dunno... I think Gibson was selling archtops with a cut away as far back as at least the 1930s (the Super 400).

If anything, the tele looks like a very simplified (and flattened) version of those.
basically a tele is just a bit of wood with a neck screwed to it. why they moved away from pine I'll never know, perhaps they had to justify the cost.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Danger Mouse wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:
jeremyb wrote:http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... tudio.aspx

BG's dream guitar, a tele with a fat arse and a floyd :thumbup:
That's cool...finally not a stupid idea. I can see this one selling well.
Except that, judging by the comments, this guitar is a few years old, not made anymore and it didn't sell when it was.
Doh!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

This is absolutely stunning, but OMG the $$$$'s....

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... ndard.aspx
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

The finish does it for me but I'd take an un "aged" one over that.

The real question though, is how many pieces?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:This is absolutely stunning, but OMG the $$$$'s....

Jebus, that is a lot of money, but even more silly is the jump if you want it signed!
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote:

Jebus, that is a lot of money, but even more silly is the jump if you want it signed!
Rockshop had one of the non aged versions. I think it was $16k or thereabouts. It had a muted, semi-gloss finish and the sunburst seemed to glow with its own light. I thought it was utterly beautiful and it completely destroyed high gloss Les Paul finishes for me.

Where did it get to, Matt?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Pastasauce wrote:The finish does it for me but I'd take an un "aged" one over that.

The real question though, is how many pieces?
:lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

This shows the monstrosity that is the min-e-tune...way to go to make your expensive, and possibly credible components look like cheap early 70's Japanese piles of shit. Groan.

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

*spew*

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

I'd still like to point out that the Gibson in the first post has a Bigsby.. "Les Paul's favourite Les Paul" lol
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I heard he took it off to sell it!

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

slowfingers wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:

Rockshop had one of the non aged versions. I think it was $16k or thereabouts. It had a muted, semi-gloss finish and the sunburst seemed to glow with its own light. I thought it was utterly beautiful and it completely destroyed high gloss Les Paul finishes for me.

Where did it get to, Matt?
Well that's an interesting story....

Yes, we had one of the VOS versions. It was a little on the pricey side at $16k, cos I got stitched up by the supplier (that's another story), but it was indeed a drop dead gorgeous guitar. We sat on it for a while, tried to special it out a couple of times, but it just hung around.

One day I get a call from a buddy who tells me he is charged with looking after Billy Gibbons while he is in NZ for the Hot Rod show out Coromandel way. He had been arranged to play a set, but needed a guitar and amp and my buddy asked me to help out.
"No problem" I said. I lent them my own Marshall (before it went to Friedman - at that stage it was Ryan-modded) and then I said "I have the perfect guitar". I told them that I would lend the Billy Gibbons....on the proviso that he sign it!

The deal was done, I lent the guitar and my amp, and Billy played the show with it, and dutifully signed the guitar.

Cut forward to a few months later. Completely out of the blue, I get a call from the Rockshop online team telling me that overnight, someone has been on the Rockshop website and clicked "Buy" on the Billy Gibbons guitar. They talked to the guy and verified he was legit...he didn't know the background of the guitar. He just wanted a kick ass Les Paul and he was a bit of a fan.

I rang the chap up and said something like: "Hi, it's Matt here from Rockshop head office. I wanted to call to congratulate you on your fine choice of a beautiful guitar, however before we put the sale through I feel like I need to disclose some information to you"

Interested, he asked what the story was...

Taking great delight I said "Well, the bad news about that guitar is that it's not showroom mint condition. It has some minor playing wear on it because....well.....it's been used in a gig situation"

Immediately the guy starts making uncomfortable noises and sounding a little annoyed. So I continue....

"The good news is that it was used at a gig by....well.....Billy Gibbons. Then he signed the back of the headstock. I hope that's OK"

The guy had a bit of a freak out and we finished the transaction then and there. A very happy customer with a wonderful guitar!

"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Sigh, I came so close...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

HA! Glorious!