Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: The headstocks are glued on anyway aren't they?
No.

Not on unrepaired ones.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

slowfingers wrote:
No.

Not on unrepaired ones.
My bad, either way, Gibson aren't doing it to save the environment, and for that kinda money I'd want a single piece like my Edwards has :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote:
benderissimo wrote: Gibson aren't the only ones to do that though.

Also- quite apart from being a cost-saving thing- think about how much wasted wood there would be- probably a whole extra neck for every three that are made. Give me the glued-on wings any day of the week.
The headstocks are glued on anyway aren't they? no reason why they couldn't come from wider pieces of other wood!
Nope.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote:I'd want a single piece like my Edwards has :mrgreen:
Nope
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:
slowfingers wrote:
No.

Not on unrepaired ones.
My bad, either way, Gibson aren't doing it to save the environment, and for that kinda money I'd want a single piece like my Edwards has :mrgreen:
You know most guitars made in China, like yours, have a scarf joint though? I'd think that would be more of a concern? :mrgreen:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mines made in Japan and nope, no scarf joint! And certainly no glued on wings...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

They do use lots of glue though bg, as per this shot inside the Edwards factory.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

:lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:Mines made in Japan and nope, no scarf joint! And certainly no glued on wings...
Yeah I know, they spray the poly on in Japan but all the bits are hacked out in China....it's well documented as is the neck construction, even the Edwards site says made from up to seven pieces of wood. The 3mm coating of poly will hold it together nicely ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Mines made in Japan and nope, no scarf joint! And certainly no glued on wings...
Yeah I know, they spray the poly on in Japan but all the bits are hacked out in China....it's well documented as is the neck construction, even the Edwards site says made from up to seven pieces of wood. The 3mm coating of poly will hold it together nicely ;)
Cobblers, I dare you to find a join in the neck of mine :congrats:

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Bg wrote:Yeah I know, they spray the poly on in Japan but all the bits are hacked out in China....it's well documented as is the neck construction, even the Edwards site says made from up to seven pieces of wood. The 3mm coating of poly will hold it together nicely ;)
3-7pc necks are usually considered as a premium feature nowadays for people who downtune to Z and use super thick strings. As a multi-piece neck combining different woods suppose to be more stable. There are extreme cases like Mayones that do 11pc necks on their flagship line.

His LP probably wouldn't have a 7pc neck though. However I wouldn't be too surprised if they pulled the good ol' fotoflame trick to have a scarf jointed neck looking like a 1pc neck...
Last edited by godgrinder on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

jeremyb wrote:
slowfingers wrote:
No.

Not on unrepaired ones.
I don't really care what Gibson's motivations are, but I absolutely hate, and I mean with every fiber of my being, that kind of wastage.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

godgrinder wrote:
Bg wrote:Yeah I know, they spray the poly on in Japan but all the bits are hacked out in China....it's well documented as is the neck construction, even the Edwards site says made from up to seven pieces of wood. The 3mm coating of poly will hold it together nicely ;)
3-7pc necks are usually considered as a premium feature nowadays for people who downtune to Z and use super thick strings. As a multi-piece neck combining different woods suppose to be more stable. There are extreme cases like Mayones that do 11pc necks on their flagship line.

His LP probably wouldn't have a 7pc neck though. However I wouldn't be too surprised if they pulled the good ol' fotoflame trick to have a scarf jointed neck looking like a 1pc neck...
lolz it adds to the mojo ;)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Ahem.
For the record, ESP states “ESP guitars are built in our main factory and custom-shop located in Japan. These are completely built and assembled by highly skilled craftsmen using the best parts & wood selection. LTD guitars are produced in our factories outside of Japan (currently Korea, Indonesia, China, and Vietnam), and are manufactured in larger quantities using an assembly-line production method. This results in lower priced instruments.”

The bottom line is that complete production of Edwards has returned to Japan after a brief interlude (at least 2009 maybe longer) when the initial phase of the manufacture (woodworking through painting) was done at the ESP China facility. While Edwards falls a little short of the Navagator line, the fit and finish are superb making Edwards guitars the most under-rated guitar brand in Japan. The bang-for-the-buck makes them one of the best buys around.
I've heard a rumour that Gibson actually have their guitars built in America, a land where such amazing specimens of technology and quality such as the Hardly Ableson and Ford F-150 (the most popular vehicle in the US of A) are produced :lol:

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 843 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Wish I could get an f150 here for the kinda prices they get them in the US!

Totally hanging out for the RHD mustang too. Could be a worthy successor to my Aussie taxi.