Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by werdna »

Marshall should buy Gibson.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Gibson should be allowed to die. That way, all the crap they've made would be worth something and the people lucky enough to have their good stuff would feel like Aucklanders who bought a couple of houses 10 years ago.

Getting my coat.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

godgrinder wrote:
Miza wrote: I've actually thought for a long time that's exactly what Gibson should be doing. Just keep making reissues of all their classics.

It's kinda what Fender are doing...

Leave innovation to the PRS's of this world :lol:
Fender do lots of weird shit as well but they make these in Mexico or China and they're cheap. When Gibson do a weird model it's usually a megabucks custom shop jobbie which just adds to the ridiculousness...
Fender are also in trouble.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

werdna wrote:Marshall should buy Gibson.
Marshall would've done a great job running Gibson's lifestyle department hahaha.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

So Henry has to go...that seems to be where the deals are at.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Miza wrote:
werdna wrote:Imagine Gibson under JB. Next year's Gibson model range: only historic '58s, '59s and '60s. Just what the doctor ordered.
I've actually thought for a long time that's exactly what Gibson should be doing. Just keep making reissues of all their classics.

It's kinda what Fender are doing...

Leave innovation to the PRS's of this world :lol:
I nearly agree, they need to be more like both Fender and PRS: listen to their customers. Solicit buyers and potential buyers opinions, leave the radical "inventions" to signature models. Look after your signature artists, they are the lifeblood of the brand (*cough* Les Paul anyone?), look after them, listen to them.

Respect your brands: Epiphone was a quality brand, but got ground down by the arrogance of Gibson's treating it as it's budget bulk product range to the point folks will go to huge lengths to eliminate it's headstock shape. Epiphone had high end products, keep up the development of the brand.

Fender has done wonders with Charvel and Gretsch, neither has been a "junk" brand.

PRS doesn't need a "budget" brand. They've made a point of respecting the broke, broken arsed income that professional musicians make and have covered budget and premium ends. The quality and pricing of the budget product garners respect for the brand and the quality and innovation of the premium end instruments fires the desirability of the brand.

Lastly, they need to remember they are in a shrinking industry, electronic music will dominate for the foreseeable future, yes we are bound to see a renaissance of guitar at some point, but ultimately music will be able to be most cheaply produced on a laptop and soon phone so be prepared for it.
Prepare how? You still see violins and cellos being sold at a profit, get ready for that phase of the business. How easy and cheap is it for someone to use your guitar into a phone? Best be the easiest and not the most expensive to enable/own that connection/platform on Android and Apple.

Listen to the customers!!!
Tin arse!!

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Terexgeek wrote:How easy and cheap is it for someone to use your guitar into a phone? Best be the easiest and not the most expensive to enable/own that connection/platform on Android and Apple.
iRig is US$40. It'd probably be more expensive to build that into the guitar because they'll have to drill extra holes.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Although guitarists like to think that the reason Gibson is going under has to do with some of the wack guitars they release, it seems like it's mostly due to them borrowing money to buy 3rd-rate consumer electronic brands.

"I really want a TEAC sound system." Said no one ever.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Slowy wrote:Gibson should be allowed to die. That way, all the crap they've made would be worth something and the people lucky enough to have their good stuff would feel like Aucklanders who bought a couple of houses 10 years ago.

Getting my coat.
I only bought 3. Still too tight-ass to buy Gibson/Fender CS stuff.
Make Music Great Again

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Reality is they’re going nowhere (the musical instrument brand that is). The absolute worst case scenario would be the receivers sell the unit off to Fender, or some other interested party which would be back running Gibson Musical Instruments inside a week.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Terexgeek wrote:
PRS doesn't need a "budget" brand. They've made a point of respecting the broke, broken arsed income that professional musicians make and have covered budget and premium ends. The quality and pricing of the budget product garners respect for the brand and the quality and innovation of the premium end instruments fires the desirability of the brand
Well put; good insight.
I have 2 SE models and respect for the PRS brand is exactly the effect they have on me. They are great instruments in their own right while still allowing the real ones to take you to another level entirely.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

can't deny that my se santana is a worthy substitute for my LP. I keep yearning for a fixed bridge and no upper fret access though :(

Nah I just want something to satisfy my inner greeny
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Bg wrote:can't deny that my se santana is a worthy substitute for my LP. I keep yearning for a fixed bridge and no upper fret access though :(

SG? The never-ending neck feel is real.
Make Music Great Again

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Not sure why the Santana has 24 frets but yeah.
Also 61ri :cool:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Clanger wrote:
Bg wrote:can't deny that my se santana is a worthy substitute for my LP. I keep yearning for a fixed bridge and no upper fret access though :(

SG? The never-ending neck feel is real.
I hate the SG shape, thickness as well. Just doesn't work for me.

my SE santana only has 22 frets dude...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.