Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by GrantB »

It's also gone.
NippleWrestler wrote: Gibson are still fantastically out of touch.
I don't expect this will change....ever. And when you have no new ideas that people actually like, all you have left to protect are the better ideas of those that came before you. I can understand the economics and IP, but that lack of vision and petty protectionism is frankly a bad look.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

That really irks me somehow, but... would this stop anyone here from buying Gibson though? How is it that Gibson has to resort to this kind of thing, while Fender still thrives without it? Is it partially due to the more opaque range of companies/brands hidden behind each of these two big ones? I don't know how many other brands are owned by Gibson, but I think there's quite a range owned by Fender. I guess that's a form of spreading the risk?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

codedog wrote: How is it that Gibson has to resort to this kind of thing, while Fender still thrives without it?
Because Gibson Management remains out of touch with reality despite recent changes?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I think it’s good business sense - all Gibson have are their iconic status and body shapes. They should protect them at all costs and avoid Fender’s fate. Become the only place you get a Gibson body shape and hype the exclusivity, punch out faithful old classics at high QA and you start rebuilding a legacy, and therefore a business. It’s pretty simple - Gibson invested in all sorts of stupid shit and gimmicks, now they need to burn all that off, fall back on their bread and butter and work out how to get more innovative from a stable base. Look to them to iterate often and in small, exclusive batches - they’ll be following the path that sneaker industry have taken.

I’m going to start saving for the LP they come out with in 3 years time as it will be killer.
Last edited by TmcB on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

GrantB wrote:
codedog wrote: How is it that Gibson has to resort to this kind of thing, while Fender still thrives without it?
Because Gibson Management remains out of touch with reality despite recent changes?
But it's been going on for donkeys! The mind truly boggleth... :crazy:

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Single coil wrote:Wtf did dean ever do

Dickhead. You’re supposed to be getting this cursed brand out of debt, not into it more. :problem:
Dean make V and Explorer shapes that are pretty much identical to Gibson's. They've been doing it since the 70s though so I'm not sure why now is a good time to pursue this.

Bit it's Gibson. They thought the dusk tiger was a good idea so who knows what their thought process is.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

TmcB wrote:I think it’s good business sense - all Gibson have are their iconic status and body shapes. They should protect them at all costs
To the financial ruin of the brand due to damaging it's own reputation? Bankruptcy and ANOTHER new own, maybe not ALL costs.
TmcB wrote:and avoid Fender’s fate.
Yeah, because profitability and a fanatical buyer base happy to buy new product practically sight unseen every year till you're forced to start re-issuing guitars from your really bad period just to have something new? Yeah that would SUCK!
TmcB wrote:Become the only place you get a Gibson body shape and hype the exclusivity, punch out faithful old classics at high QA and you start rebuilding a legacy.

I’m going to start saving for the LP they come out with in 3 years time as it will be killer.
Bollocks, that horse bolted the very second they started producing overpriced crap in the seventies, meaning other companies could produce better product cheaper, then they slapped an Epiphone logo on the shape themselves so....
Tin arse!!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Terexgeek wrote:
TmcB wrote:I think it’s good business sense - all Gibson have are their iconic status and body shapes. They should protect them at all costs
To the financial ruin of the brand due to damaging it's own reputation? Bankruptcy and ANOTHER new own, maybe not ALL costs.
Yeah, because profitability and a fanatical buyer base happy to buy new product practically sight unseen every year till you're forced to start re-issuing guitars from your really bad period just to have something new? Yeah that would SUCK!
TmcB wrote:Become the only place you get a Gibson body shape and hype the exclusivity, punch out faithful old classics at high QA and you start rebuilding a legacy.

Bollocks, that horse bolted the very second they started producing overpriced crap in the seventies, meaning other companies could produce better product cheaper, then they slapped an Epiphone logo on the shape themselves so....
Methinks there was a slight drizzle of facetiocity in the original response... or not... :zomg:

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

codedog wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:

Methinks there was a slight drizzle of facetiocity in the original response... or not... :zomg:
I was hopefully playing along, the Gibson management have traditionally ignored every successful idea on the market and run the brand into the ground so many times I think Tony's got the gist of how they actually think.
Tin arse!!

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

the guy from Norms Rare guitars is a coq imo. he ruined the legacy of Norms by Frothing over every guitar he laid his hands on, the short videos on instagram we CRINGE. I was glad he got the boot from Norms.
nek second, he is fronting Gibsons Customer Arm, talk about Stoopid Move Gibson. the guy is clearly an ego maniac
anyway, Trilogy Guitar on Youtube have done plenty of reviews on New Gibsons, still massive voids in the neck joint underneath the neck pick up on most guitars reviewed so far.
the only change so far is the marketing BS
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I found his video on authenticity hard to watch (the one that was just pulled). His manner was all wrong: aggressive, belligerent, confrontational, staring down the camera and doing these upward chin nods like he's threatening you to hand over your wallet.

Wrong tone, wrong presenter, right enough message, but delivered so badly that it's hard to respect a brand that thought that kind of video was a good idea. Like everyone sat around having a marketing meeting and thought "yes, this is the right approach. All the kids are making videos now. Get me an angry man in a leather jacket."

And it gets pulled after 2 weeks.

I'm gonna buy a Tokai Love Rock.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

That guy was hard to watch on Norm’ vids. He got his facts wrong time and again. Gibson hired him. Theme?

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Terexgeek wrote:

I feel you don’t like Capitalism very much
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

I just saw a video which contained some of the Gibson one :shock: I know he is working for Gibson now but who is that Mark guy? Is he from a band or something?
I wonder if his leather jacket was made by the people who designed the first leather jackets?! Could be in hot water if not :wink:
My favourite electric guitars are Gibson’s and that video basically just made me feel embarrassed. Nice one. Wanker.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

TmcB wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:

I feel you don’t like Capitalism very much
Lol, if the shoe fits!

Actually you raised a good point though, Fender does seem to go from strength to strength even though there's a plethora of high quality Fender shaped instruments in the market, some designed by Leo himself. Gibson could just carbon copy Fender or carbon copy PRS and sleepwalk to success, and there would be some cool guitars for all.
Tin arse!!