I am ashamed...

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Are samicks still crap?

Yes, once a crap guitar maker always a crap guitar maker
40%
No, they're finally making some half-decent.
60%

Total votes: 10

indie
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

I am ashamed...

Post by indie »

I walked into a guitar store yesterday, picked up a samick guitar, and actually liked it! Worse than all of this is I am thinking of buying it :shock:. Has anyone else suffered this? Maybe samick make okay guitars now....
Has anyone else picked up a samick and found it to be less than terrible?

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

i once did, but now if i picked it up i wouldnt like it, coz my jackson is so nice and i remember the samick having a big neck, i like thin necks
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Just don't pick them up. That way you will never know. :wink:

I am lucky to find maybe two lefty guitars in a Guitar shop these day so I don't suffer from this problem. I have often wondered what some Brands play like.

I did have to sit and watch Bluesgeek play on the Gary Moore Les Paul for thirty minutes once. It was painful not able to try it or any other guitar for that matter. :twisted:

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Samick do make a lot of guitars in the world - their factories make guitars for many other companies (obviously their budget lines in most cases I suspect).

Just as there can be crap guitars for the good brands based on the idea of a precision device that is mass produced having duds - there can also be the converse where a budget range of guitars could have the ones that are particularly good as everything goes right in the process for that guitar.

If its good, you like it and the price is good then does it matter what brand it is?

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

TMG 03 wrote: I am lucky to find maybe two lefty guitars in a Guitar shop these day so I don't suffer from this problem. I have often wondered what some Brands play like.
If you're interested - off the top of my head I know of the following leftie guitars in Wellington

Rockshop - LH Tokai Les Paul copy (around the 1000 mark)
Music Warehouse LH - about 2 weeks ago saw a LH Epiphone G400 (SG copy) for around 549 from memory
I am pretty sure Weta Guitars have a LH Ibanez Les Paul copy - unsure of the price

Thats all I can remember from having looked around over the last few weeks!

LH guitars just look plain wierd though - FREAK! :twisted:

Man Who Sold the World

Post by Man Who Sold the World »

My flatmate has a samick acoustic that is quite nice.

If I was to buy an acoustic it'd probably be a samick, simply 'cause they're cheap, and they ain't half bad.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

nope, lets face it, if everyone thought that, fender would have been written off after the 80's. A guy I know has an Samick Acoustic Bass which is bloody good...
Last edited by Bg on Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

offender wrote:
TMG 03 wrote: I am lucky to find maybe two lefty guitars in a Guitar shop these day so I don't suffer from this problem. I have often wondered what some Brands play like.

I am pretty sure Weta Guitars have a LH Ibanez Les Paul copy - unsure of the price

I left two messages on their answer phone on Friday about that guitar. No one rang me back. I am very interested n a Goldtop Les PAul style guitar. Any help on the price would be great. :D

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

hey i saw that lefty ibanez les paul.. if i remember correctly.. 600.. not bad

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I actually talked to one of the guys in there about the guitar. He said that he would have sold it three times over every week had it been right handed. looked like a very nice axe, and the chap seemed to think that it was superb, he wasn't trying to sell it to me so I can onyl assume that he was tellign the truth.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

TMG 03 wrote:
offender wrote:

I left two messages on their answer phone on Friday about that guitar. No one rang me back. I am very interested n a Goldtop Les PAul style guitar. Any help on the price would be great. :D
Weta guitars are closed for the long weekend unfortunately!
They should get back to you on Tuesday I would think!!

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

I haven't played a new Samick at all, but I have played one newer than my old Samick strat copy (my first electric guitar, back in 1986 or something) - it was a copy of a BC Rich Warlock. It was actually really nice to play, and had pretty nice sounding pickuips if I remember correctly (I've since ripped it apart and cannibalised it for parts :P ).

Basically I voted for them making some decent guitars, based purely on the same reasoning Bluesgeek mentioned. Any company can improve. Not everyone will, granted, but they can, and on the face of it Samick appear to have done so.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Well, I just saw a pic of the one Indie was talking about, and it's not half-bad one the eye - there are Strat and Telecaster elements in there, but I'd trust Indie's judgement on this, so if it plays well and sounds okay, it might not be as bad as Samick has been made out to be in the past.

Come to think of it, my school used Samick accoustics for lessons, and though I was no judge of guitars seven years back almost, I knew it played about lot better then my accoustic..
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."