Capo use

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Capo use

Post by Tsuken »

...capo use while bending strings wildly, that is.

Background: if/when I get my Warlock done (I might just paint it a dodgy black and put a stickerchick on it ;) ), the plan is big fat strings, tuned to Drop C/standard down a tone. Then if I wanted std tuning down a semi-tone (a la EVH/SRV/bloody half the world, it seems sometimes), I could put a capo at the first fret, and we'd be away; or for drop D I could put it down to drop C and capo the 2nd fret - and again we'd be away.

That's the theory, however any time I've used a capo and bent a string (at all) I end up wildly out of tune, as the strings slide vertically between fret/baord/capo and stay there when I release the bend. I'm using a Shubb quick-release capo. Have I just not got it on tight enough?- or is there a particular brand or type of capo that would address this?

... Or is this "just one of those things" with capos? :? - and my evil plan is destined to fail dismally ;)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Capos and bending are inheretly opposed. The only solution is no capo and 12 guitars all in different tunings. You may tell your wife you have my permission to buy enough gear to cover that.

Rog said I had to do, dear - its all Rog's fault - damn him...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

damn - I rather feared that might be the case. I might have to reassess the down-tuned/heavy strings thing then and just have it in standard.

...or Eb and go ahead with putting a whammy on it.

...or have it down-tuned to D and buggrit. ;)

I have no idea what to do now. Thanks Rog :?

:P

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

LOL - UR welcome mate - what are friends for?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

I can't say that I've ever tried a capo except on an acoustic guitar. I tend to agree that string bending would prolly be unwise.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

Haven't used my capo in a while, so I can't remember I it coped with bends. I use a Shubb capo as well. The G7th capos are becoming very popular (and expensive), so maybe they're better suited to bending.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Rog is 100% correct, you jsut need more guitars, there's no second option. I think perhaps it's time for a hummingbird in lurid green.

Or how about a Vester flying V with a bolt on nech and one pickup, with "homemade" polka dots ala Randy...

You know you want to!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

:lol: I have three fully-functional electrics currently. The Warlock will make 4. I've got two other guitar bodies lying around - only one's plywood, and I don't know what the other is :? A V would be nice, and I definitely aim to have some sort of a V at some stage, but it's a little ways down the GAS priority chain atm ;)

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I just had a little play with a strat and an Ashton/Kyser capo and it seems to work ok with 1 and 2 tone bends. A few little grooves in the front corner of the rubber and fitting it close to the fret would probably be quite acceptable.

The old style capos with the stretchy band would be useless though.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand