The one thing

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by MaloS »

nah, wait for couple of more posts praising the acoustics, then pick your favorite frase meaning "whatever" and speak as loud as you can.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

MaloS wrote:What is done by an electric guitarist with a pedal is done by an acoustic guitarist with his own fingers and creativity (at least a good guitarist, the one who runs a melody not a chord pattern).
who uses pedals? :p
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yoda wrote:It's my belief that playing an acoustic does only good things for one's playing skills and no bad things whatsoever. It cleans up your articulation. It reminds you that simpler is so often better both in terms of FX and also in terms of complexity of lines/parts. If anything an acoustic improves your sense of feel for the guitar because there's absolutely nothing in your tone but your hands.
I play bass for that, it does all the above and also increases my sense of rhthym and holding together everyone else in the band.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

well u definetly change your settings on the amp, acoustic guitar does not have anything you can change. its all in the fingers.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

So then, is the best compromise in your opinion the electric/acoustic?

I mean that's like having a convertible hard-top, which for many people is the best of both worlds - can be used either way.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

MaloS wrote:well u definetly change your settings on the amp, acoustic guitar does not have anything you can change. its all in the fingers.
Apart from the built in graphic eq and amp settings for the acoustic. Acoustic tone does little for me so that 'its all in the fingers' means nothing. I watched a blues documentary last night with all the old blues guys Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson, etc etc and yes I appreciate their playing and I love their songs - but I couldn't wait for the electric blues of buddy guy, albert king, bb king etc

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

to respond to DrRog:
-nah, my compromise is to have an acoustic and to have an electric, be profficient at both (electric proficiency comes easily if u r proficient in acoustics). cannot have the best of both worlds, but can have best of each world.

to BG:
- well, as you mentioned before, to each his own.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yep but I wonder if your opinion changes when you get that electric ;)

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

TMG,

It was a (mid 50's, I think) D28 which I was fortunate enough to play for a few hours back in the late 70's which caught my attention and made a believer out of me. After that I sought out Martins to try, eventually settling on the J40M as my chosen guitar of lust. Around 18 months ago I felt my position in life was secure enough that I could finally justify the expense and began to go Martin shopping. The 2½ month long experience (shopping) was even more anticlimactic than my recent Les Paul experience. I have no doubt that my ears did not decieve me and that the D28 I played back then was fabulous. I just suspect that Martins of today are prolly not nearly as good as they once were. I may have mentioned this before but while shopping I played every single Martin in the city at least twice and many of them 3 or 4 times. I'm talking about maybe 50 guitars or so spread over a half dozen stores. They all disappointed me. I ended up buying a Taylor.

I'd love to find an old D28 (maybe a Herringbone) from the 50's or 60's but I expect it would be well out of reach for my wallet.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I was browsing the local Martin importer's catalogue recently to find some astounding prices on their products. Most astounding of which was the Koa D-50 custom. A steal at just $93,000.

Yep, thats 93 thousand NZ dollars.
http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/cho ... a%20Deluxe

At that price it has better have more than just the "one thing"
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

well, since I am working to buy an electric with piezo pick ups for acoustic sounds...doubt it BG.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Ash - that is just ridiculous - but some yanks will buy them...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

There's a local acoustic maker by the name of Laurie Williams who does a $50,000 guitar. He's sold one in the USA so far and will do 11 more.
They're made of a very rare and beautiful wood called whitebait kauri.

It is ridiculous, but it see,s less so when you apply the term "Tools of the Trade" to a guitar. You wouldn't rais and eyebrow at a truck driver shelling out $100k for his tools of trade, or a studio engineer. A travelling sales rep could easily get by with a $2000 falcon wagon, but you tend to see $40k wagons and even Mercs out there...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

No "one thing" for me either. The look probably grabs me first, but then the feel of it is what decides if I'd get it. As an example, I've always loved the look of the Ibanez S series - ever since they first came out. So I had to try one. Happily, it felt just right - which I think in this case has a lot to do with the neck; it just fit my hand and playing perfectly - and the big fat frets. 8) So it was the feel that cemented my desire.

However, the 2004 S series seem to include some damn icky finishes - so weird that I wouldn't buy one if I were looking now. So for me the look is still very important.

Sound? Can be altered/improved - to a point. Though I have to say I'm pretty sure I can hear the difference the mahogany in the Ibanez makes over the muck-wood in some of my other guitars, so the specs/wood etc are probably important too.

As for acoustics, I love 'em. Acoustic blues to take BG's example, doesn't differ from electric blues solely in that it's played on an acoustic; it's stylistically different (generalisation here :P ). If you like one style better than another, of course you'll be hanging out for that one. If you like both equally (as I do), you'll enjoy listening to either/both.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

I allways try to say 'ignore the brand, what does it sound like??' , check it for basics (no matter how good the sound, if it's a really poor construction you cannot fix to make playable full stop then it's sadly unusable) and have picked up some nice stuff that way.

However I suspect it must be a sympton of incresing age that I'm gettign meaner as time passes. Once I would happily have paid the earth and flung in my soul for the 'right' guitar - but now I want the earth for 10 cents.

Must admit, though, I feel pretty happy with some of the modern stuff I've acquired - seems to be bargain prices for things like new Tokai, Epiphone, Ibanez etc.

Anyone else like me -ie getting meaner as they get older???
You can't do THAT on stage!