Best Buy?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

stewbaby
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by stewbaby »

*UNIQUE* wrote:The best acoustic I reckon for less than five hand shandy is the new Cort ranghe, much like the afore mentioned Ashton, with solid spruce tops and rediculously good finish.
I just got a Compania semi acoustic with wicked finish and solid Spruce top... sounds like a much more expensive guitar, and the build quality on this one is awesome. I have had several people looking at it/playing it and they have all been impressed. Others of the same model don't seem to have the same "oomph" though, so I got the best one on the day, I guess... all for under $300. Even the Corts and Fenders that were nearly a grand didn't come close in acoustic sound (although the electrix were heaps better)

For Bass under $1,000, the new Yamahas are nice, or for longevity, the Squier P-Bass 5.
Stewbaby

All your guitars are belong to us!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

TMG 03 wrote:I should have know you would hi jack a thread :wink:

So Any one have an Ashton ? What are they like ?

Do we all tend to want a copy od a classic. ie. A SG, Les Paul, Strat when shopping in that under $1000 mark?

I have seen the odd Dan Electro (sp) in that bracket. I know the RS were selling that red doubleneck Dano for $699 a year ago. I was so temped to get it, But now I see it on Trademe for the same price.

Maton seems to be the best priced Acoustic under $1000.

Does anyone here own a sammick ? :P
I have an Ashton, with a decent set of strings it will shit all over anything under $500 new, I'll stand by that too. I've also got a Cort, no that sounds as good if not better than a MArtin, and I have played many MArtins.
The Ashton must have been $350/$400 and the Cort I payed $600 for (marked down from a grand). The Cort has an amazing solid spruce top with flamed maple back and sides and a great maple neck with an ebony fingerboard. Seriously good guitar for the money.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

I liked the Chinese strats at $200 originally a few years back now - how about those new el-cheapo ones (forget what they are called - tribute or something similar).
You can't do THAT on stage!

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Cort guitars do make a very good product. I was talking to the owner of Lewis Eddy Music last week and he just come back from the factory in China and he was impressed with the quality of the workmanship they do now. As the labour costs are so low they can put better quality woods into them and keep the price down.

One good buy I see these days is the second hand MIJ Fender Strats on trademe. $500-$600 gets you a very nice one with case. And from what I hear they will make a MIM Strat look average. The only problem with the MIJ stuff it is made for the local market in Japan and they have small hands so the necks on them are like pencils. It is hard to get one with a good profile neck. Well that is for me anyway.

[Q]werty?
Stagg
Stagg

Post by [Q]werty? »

Well personally, i really like the epiphone custom... it is a really nice gat to play the only downside is that it squeals with the higher volume which is realy annoying.... i am probably just gonna splash out more i pick something up off trademe there is a lp classic for $2000 on there right now... mint condition *drools*
---=====----
[Q]werty?

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

About Ashtons:
The girl-down-the-hallway's Ashton acoustic sounds better than my Yamaha F310 (around $300). Pretty embarrasing (not that anyone else can actually even tell).
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

greg, the tones in the fingers mate ;)

Qwerty, isn't the Classic the one that Angry Young Poet is selling off here? Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll let you have it cheaper...

Check this out http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24158#24158
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Now come on BG - as you should know from the trademe ads no one actually 'owns' a LP - they are simply 'taking care' of it for the next person - presumably that is what all the cash is about so presumably a Samick does not require as much 'care' or something. Think I'll start a caring sharing 'home' for orphaned LP's eh??

Marketing puffery - don't you just love it!!

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

gregtarr wrote:About Ashtons:
The girl-down-the-hallway's Ashton acoustic sounds better than my Yamaha F310 (around $300). Pretty embarrasing (not that anyone else can actually even tell).
Yeah right greggtarr - that's an excuse I used to use too - especially if she was really pretty 'oh that's a really nice pair of - machine heads on your guitar (drool drool etc.)' :lol: :lol:

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

bluesgeek wrote:greg, the tones in the fingers mate ;)
:lol:

Yeah, but it was me playing it though!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

gregtarr wrote:About Ashtons:
Ahh, but your F310 will still be intact and nicely playable long after your gnawed bones have bleached in the sun after an ill advised visit to Palmerston North...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand