NZ guitar refinishers

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

NZ guitar refinishers

Post by Lemmings »

Hi guys. Could any of you reccomend to me a quality guitar refinisher in New Zealand. I am hoping to change my LP classic from picture one to something more like picture 2 (new paint and inlays). Is there anyone that you know of that could perform this work to a high standard. Your help would be much appreciated.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

You look like you been to the Les Paul Forum mate. It seems to be the current theme over there refins on Classic. That historic plaintop is very nice.

A guy here Called Ash does custom guitars and refin's. I am sure he can help. I know RS guitar works do plenty in the US but shipping and exchange rates will kill that for you.

I think the vintage sunburst on the Classic is really nice, it is just the classic inlays that kill them for me. Why they persist with the green tint is beyond me.

A refin in the States is around $500 so I hate to think what it is going to cost here.

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

Im probably heading to the states soon so i could pick up the guitar then and save on hipping. Ive seen some quotes for refinishing at around $250us so it might be worth a try. I just wanted to check beforehand.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

So are you going to pick up the Classic in the states?

Here is RS Price list. I think they may be at the top end of the pricing I have seen.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/refinprices.htm

It all depends on what price you can get the classic for as to the value in getting it done. I think you might as well lok around for that plaintop standard and not have to worry. Don't for get the pre 93 Classics are the ones to get. THese are the pre historics. THat one you posted looks like a 97 to me.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

i actually liked the aged inlays.. looks awesome on a sunburst.. looks... aged :shock:

if you were gonna refinish and change the inlays on a LP, why not just buy a standard?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I can do that for you. PM me a list of your exact requirements: ie. changed colours front and back, neck, inlay material and colour, pickguard, binding and pickup surround colours etc.

I'll get back to you with a quote. I imagine I can do it significantly cheaper than a US refinisher...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

ash wrote:I can do that for you. PM me a list of your exact requirements: ie. changed colours front and back, neck, inlay material and colour, pickguard, binding and pickup surround colours etc.

I'll get back to you with a quote. I imagine I can do it significantly cheaper than a US refinisher...
Youve got mail 8)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Is a refin on a Les Paul hard work Ash ?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

A bit harder with the binding and set neck. It mostly depends on the colours and how they're layed down onto the wood. Its nearly impossible to change a dark stained top because the colour is put into the wood rather than in the lacquer on top of the wood.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Would something like that LP at the top be a stain or on top ?

Is binding a real pain to fit ?

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

Whats the main motivation for re-doing it?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

TMG 03 wrote:Would something like that LP at the top be a stain or on top ?

Is binding a real pain to fit ?
I don't know... if it was an old Fender, a PRS or one of mine it would be stained, but I'm not sure how Gibson do it.

Binding is a major drama to fit. Especially multi coloured like a LP custom. The PRS style 'fake' binding is much better.