Weight

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Heavy or Light

Heavy (Les Paul)
8%
Medium (?)
15%
Light (My PRS)
8%
Don't care (It's all about tone)
69%

Total votes: 13

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Weight

Post by Richy11 »

Does weight make differnce in your guitar selection or don't you give a damn.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

if it is heavy, I can play sitting, if it is light, I can take the advantage and stand up...

tone is not like that though, if tone sucks, I cannot stand up and make it better (or sit down). I mean I can try to play well on it, but if I can get good tone and play it in whatever position comfortable, I think I am alot better of.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I prefer no to have a heavy guitar and hate a heavy bass, but I'll deal with it if everything else is good enough. Some of my guitars have been even heavier than a bad Les Paul!!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Some people are Anal about Weight. Esp the old farts on Americian forums

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

i like a bit of weight on a guitar.

when i sold my Mustang and bought the McCarty it finally felt like i actually had something hanging from my shoulders.

it weirds me out to play light guitars now. (not that the McCarty is that heavy, but its heavier than customs and standard prs's due to thickness)

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

no complaints from me.. my LP is quite light compared to others.. my PRS was rather heavy..

but otherwise, weight doesnt concern me... yet ;)

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

no problem with weight. My guitars now range greatly in weight, & I play and enjoy all of them. The right strap is a big part of whether a heavy guitar is comfortable when standing or not.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Who many of you have had to do a whole gig with a really heavy guitar?

I just realised that I've never giged with a heavy guitar, just a heavy bass and I don't like it much. Maybe if I had to do more than just noodle away on a heavy guitar it would have been more of an issue for me...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

I chose 'don't care', but i have not tried that many guitars long (or even medium) term to really know. My Cort was a lot heavier than my Gretsch. Yet I sold the Cort and kept the Gretsch. But sometimes the Gretsch can be a pain with the neck being "heavier" (mainly due to leverage) than the semi-hollow body. A leather strap has helped heaps though and keeps things in balance well.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

ash wrote:Who many of you have had to do a whole gig with a really heavy guitar?
yeah a while back when i still had my 70s LP, damn that was heavy.. what kinda wood do do use back then?? :(

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

I'd guess that Gibson was using Khaya (also known as African Mahogany) back in the 70s, but it may have been something South American. Its not so much the wood, but the thickness of it that makes LPs generally so heavy.