what do u follow through with after scales on ur warm up?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by MaloS »

I see you are a speedy man...

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Sometimes - it all came about because of Chopin believe it or not. His Prelude no 9, which is normally played at funeral speed, makes a fabulous accoustic jazz piece if played about 4 times as fast as normal and with a few variants versions on an f hole - then suddenly slow down to the right speed for the last run through and it really cracks people up.

There's a similar piece that was done by the Comedian Dudley Moore years ago - he's banging away at the piano and screaming 'it is not right'. His housekeeper comes in, yells she cannot stand it any more and then you see her hang herself, with finally the suspended feet swaying across the screen in a regular time. He looks up, yells 'that's it' and starts playing the tune in time to the swinging feet and, of course, the tune turns out to be the funeral march.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Warm up? I guess I probably should, but I never have been able to make myself hold off from just playing straight away. Recently I have found the lead guitar bit at the end of Bark at the Moon gets the fingers pretty warm pretty quick 8) so I've been playing that quite a bit. So does the chorus bit from Cliffs of Dover - but that's harder :P
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Richy11 wrote:Warm up???????
If I dont warm up, i cant play as fast....

Dont ppl find that as well?

Usually ill spend a while warming up, even for a bit, to avoid playing shit notes for 10 mins.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

yup...warm up is about 10-15 mins
before practice - especially

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I guess it depends a lot on what genre one is playing. It seems that many of you are guitar virtuosos who play 64th notes and expect accuracy.

I don't. I play r'n'r and '70s rock. F'risntance, the first song on our list is normally a warm-up tone - Time is Tight (Booker T - think Blues Bros), so the guitar part is very easy and by the time the song is finished, I'm all warmed up.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

well...i am not a virtuoso, but that is specifically what i want to do :) (hoping to go to a music institute...)

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Tsuken wrote:Warm up? I guess I probably should, but I never have been able to make myself hold off from just playing straight away....
Yeah, I'm the same. Normally I launch into something difficult and get annoyed when I stuff it up. Eventually it comes right though :)

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Gelato wrote:
Tsuken wrote:Warm up? I guess I probably should, but I never have been able to make myself hold off from just playing straight away....
Yeah, I'm the same. Normally I launch into something difficult and get annoyed when I stuff it up. Eventually it comes right though :)
:lol: yep. I guess the closest I get to a "warm-up" is avoiding the difficult stuff until my fingers are warmer and moving more freely. 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Oh another thing I do for a warm up on accoustic steel string are the Doc Watsons style fiddle tunes/Irish/US melodies ie the old grey goose, Hornpipe, Scots rag, Coolley's reel, Blackberry Blossom etc. with a pick You start terribly, agonisingly slowly and try to speed up 50% each play through BUT more than 5 duff notes and it's back to the beginning. Then at the end of 5 mins 'bugger the accuracy' and as dementedly fast as possible 3 times through. Usually pretty warm and accurate by then.

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

B45-12 wrote:Oh another thing I do for a warm up on accoustic steel string are the Doc Watsons style fiddle tunes/Irish/US melodies ie the old grey goose, Hornpipe, Scots rag, Coolley's reel, Blackberry Blossom etc. with a pick You start terribly, agonisingly slowly and try to speed up 50% each play through BUT more than 5 duff notes and it's back to the beginning. Then at the end of 5 mins 'bugger the accuracy' and as dementedly fast as possible 3 times through. Usually pretty warm and accurate by then.
Interesting indeed, sounds like fun.
Are they the type of tunes that you can crank up the distortion, ad some tapping, some Pinched harmonics etc? Would be kinda cool to mess around with i spose :)

Choice warm up idea tho.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Yeah - one of the really fun things is to try something like Blackberry Blossom (A US country style instrumental tune) on say a pointy head superstrat style thing with Floyd rose (I've got one of those cyclone el cheapos) through a marshall amp and with a wah pedal and big muff pi - you'd think it would just become one big roar but no - the pointy ones are good at separating notes out - and the dive bombing is fun.

You can also tap out God Defend NZ (apart from one note) at the 12 fret if your are so inclined and it's fun trying to get squeals and pick scrapes to liven it up.

Don't forget to do some 3/4 time material to liven it up and the scottish tunes (Davie Work, Marie's Wedding) etc can be fun.

Someday I'd also like to work out a beautiful and delicate classical arrangement of Black Sabbath's little ditty 'Paranoid' as well - with a classical opera singer trilling etc.