Pinky Usage...

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

goldtop0
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Using el pinko gives you greater dexterity...try playing any of the Allmans stuff without using it.........man that would be mighty hard.
I always warm up with a 4 finger exercise and my pinky is still nowhere near as proficient as I would like......................da digit o da devil she is.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

so how many people do tone and half bends using their pinky?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

MaloS wrote:oh yah and on the case of being 10 fingered guitarist - lier, ur left thumb never touches the strings (i'm on 9, 5 right hand, and yes all 5 equivalently useful, 4 left hand, 3 of them more or less equal on putting down bars)
hah! Does so. I use my left hand thumb all the time 8)

I always have used my left pinky, but I'm finding lately it needs a bit of strengthening, which I guess suggests I'm using it even more 8)

I use/have used all 4 fingers and thumb on the right hand at various times for various things - finger-picking, hybrid-picking (pick + fingers ; even more likely to use the pinky there), and tapping.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

bluesgeek wrote:so how many people do tone and half bends using their pinky?
Dead easy mate - just hold down the note with the left pinky and pull up on the wang bar with the right - if you like you can give the audience the fingers as well (seen it done) with both hands at the same time.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yeah I use my thumb to fret on the bottom E sometimes, so I imagine it is pretty commonplace. Right hand thumb has taken a bashing lately while I've been playing 'Play That Funky Music' got to be slapped :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Stuff all I reckon, the littley is really an add on filler run maker chord finger, there's nothing dynamic about it unfortunately. However someone like Yngwie Malmsteen might beg to differ with my opinion :roll:
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Hey mate, I've got that Bluesbreakers Bootleg with EC thats doing the rounds - have you got it? Do you want it? Sounds like hes using his pinky on it, but can't be certain ;)

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

me 8) Actually bending is easier the more fingers you have pushing/pulling the string, I've always found.

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

... I meant by itself :P

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

don't do bends on classical guitar lolz...

slurs are fine with pinky though :)

anyone tried using pinky for partial bars? (3rd and 4th strings for example)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I actually use it all the time when doing a partial barre - A barre - where it covers 3 strings, and its flexible enough for the top E to ring as well...

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

1/2 tones are pretty easy, but I struggle to get all the way to a full tone bend using the pinky by itself. Not that I can see any situation when I would need to, maybe if I broke the other 3 fingers it would come in handy :wink:

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

if you would brake 3 fingers on ur left hand, you would scream break down in cries because you will not be able to play guitar for a while....

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

MaloS wrote:if you would brake 3 fingers on ur left hand, you would scream break down in cries because you will not be able to play guitar for a while....
That's probably true. I did break my ring finger on my left hand once and it got put in a plastic cast. I learnt to play slide with it, that was kinda cool 8)

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

bluesgeek wrote:... I meant by itself :P
:P Well not routinely of course, but I have done occasionally for shits and giggles. 8)

As for the barre thing - I always have played the "A" shape barre chord using my pinky for the barre. I just find it easier thatn using my ring finger. Go figure.

Here be bloggins